DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP not capturing from Canon's GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/130885-fcp-not-capturing-canons-gl2.html)

Ed Fiebke September 15th, 2008 09:21 PM

FCP not capturing from Canon's GL2

Hello

My system is noted below. Final Cut Pro is updated to 6.0.4.

I am unable to capture the video using Canon's GL2 using the current version of FCP. I believe that I have everything configured correctly because I am able to capture audio and video using my father's JVC GR-DV800U video camera. Actually that particular JVC camera seems to work quite well with FCP. But not Canon's GL2. I am able to control camera's Rewind, Fast Forward, Play, etc. So I know that some communication is taking place. However, no picture is present within FCP; no capture either. Instead, I get that dreaded beach ball wheel.

I believe the FCP settings are correct: Under "Audio/Video" settings, the audio is set to MOTU's 424 (for the 2408 MK3); the DV Capture Preset (and the Sequence) is set to "DV NTSC 48 khz"; Video Playback is set for"Digital Cinema Desktop Preview - Main" with the audio playback set (again) to MOTU's 424 card.

I am attempting to capture the video to an external hard disk drive using the Mac Pro's firewire port located in the back of the computer. Again, this all works using my father's JVC video recorder.

Given the computer setting and operating system, is this a known issue between the FCP and the GL2?? My GL2 is an older video camera. I purchased it quite a few years ago. It seems like the GL2 may be the culprit. Yes? No?

I'm very new to FCP. My background is with SONY's Vegas program (currently I'm up to version 8). Been using the Vegas program for years. My Dell Workstation, unfortunately, is old; it definitely is showing signs of aging. So, to make a long story short, I've decided to invest time and money in a Mac Pro (I use it primarily for music sequencing using the Logic Pro program which I love!) Now I want to learn how to use the FCP which I purchased several months ago. Not being able to have FCP communicate with the GL2 is a minor significance for me, though. I'm in no financial place to purchase a new camera at this time. Luckily, I usually record the video using Focus Enhancement's FS4-Pro with the GL2. So I am not totally dependent on having FCP and the GL2 work together. Thankfully, the FS4-Pro DOES works well with FCP!! Too bad I didn't use the FS4-Pro today. Wish I did. UGH!!!

Could there be a work around in getting the GL2 to communicate properly with FCP??

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful insights and suggestions.

Regards,

Ted Fiebke

Intel Mac Pro Mac OS X (10.4.11) Xeon 2.66 (Quad) - 8 GB RAM - HDD: 250 GB X1, 500 GB X2; MOTU: 2408 MK3, MTPAV; Final Cut Studio 2

Boyd Ostroff September 16th, 2008 07:26 AM

I believe there are some known issues with the GL2 and XL1 on FCP which have to do with firewire. In the past (off the top of my head) the following suggestions were made:

1. Unplug all firewire devices EXCEPT the camera and capture to an internal drive.

2. Try different combinations of connecting the firewire devices; for example, try plugging the camera into the external HD's pass-though port instead of directly into the Mac.

3. Try the "uncontrollable device" capture preset.

I think there is something about the firewire implementation on the GL2 which differs from Apple's spec. Sounds like you've confirmed that your cable is good with another camera, but you could try a different one just for fun.

Patrick Myers September 16th, 2008 08:46 AM

Something you should always do if you are having problems with FCS or FCP is trash your preferences. If you are using two different cameras with one edit computer this may solve your problems immediatly. Even if you aren't you can never do any harm by trashing your prefs.

Corbin Lissabet September 17th, 2008 08:07 PM

I've had the same issue with Final Cut Express. The easiest solution i found was to just use iMovie to capture the footage and just import them into Final Cut.

Bill Pryor September 17th, 2008 08:42 PM

I didn't think you could trade files between iMovie and FCP.

Les Wilson September 17th, 2008 09:27 PM

Captured files from iMovie will work in FCP but the audio usually needs to be re-rendered. THe trick is getting the capture files from iMovie. Ever since around version 5 (I think), APple put all the files in a bundle together in the iMovie document. To get at the capture files, you right-click the iMovie document and select Open Package. Then you drill down the folders till you find the one with your footage and drag drop them wherever you want them.

Ed Fiebke September 23rd, 2008 03:49 PM

First. . . I want to thank you for your thoughtful responses, insights and suggestions. They are most certainly appreciated.

Regarding capturing GL2 video using the iMovie program. I tried that. It seemed that the iMovie program captured most of the video. I noticed the captured clips on the clip board. Something happend, though, that it didn't quite work out. At the time I didn't have much time and energy to investigate this particular problem so I can't explain what or why this mishap happened.

What I ended up doing was capturing the clips from the GL2 to the FS4-Pro recording device then transferring the files to the Mac Pro. As I stated in my original post, the FS4-Pro device works just fine with both the Mac Pro and FCP.

Then I edited and finally finished the video project that my father and I worked on together. I used, for the entire editing process, FCP. This was the first time that I used this program this extensively since I purchased it a number of months ago. After getting accustomed with the user interphase and work flow, I must say that I like and respect the program! The work flow is different than Sony's Vegas program. As mentioned on my first post, I like and have used extensively Vegas. But as I move from the PC platform to the Apple platform, I think that I will enjoy using FCP and its associate programs and look forward to learning how to use them a bit more "expertly" (although I don't think I'll ever achieve "expert-doom"! LOL!).

Again, thank you for your responses. . .

Ted