DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Display Recommendation G5 and FCP4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/13436-display-recommendation-g5-fcp4.html)

Michael Botkin August 18th, 2003 03:52 PM

Display Recommendation G5 and FCP4

I'm going to buy my first Mac since I was a kid in the coming weeks and I'm wanting some opinions on displays. I'm looking at the 23" HD display by Apple compared to buying 2X 20in Apple displays and using a dual monitor setup. I currently run Vegas 4 and Premiere on my PC with a dual 19" CRT setup. On the Mac, can you extended FCP 4's timeline across the two monitors? Does anyone have a picture of their setup with these monitors? I wanted to see how much space that 23" HD gives you for time line etc. I will probably have a production monitor for output if I only get the 23". Let me know what you guys think and post any pics of your setup w/ FCP 3/4 if ya got em.

Michael Botkin

Jeff Donald August 19th, 2003 06:44 AM

I've edited both ways (not two 20 inch LCD's, but similar) and prefer the two monitor set up, if you have the space. If money were no object, I'd get a 23 inch for the timeline and a cheaper 17 or 19 inch for my palettes, tools etc. Stretching the timeline across two or more monitors slows me down.

Dr. Jonas R. Skardis August 20th, 2003 08:57 PM

Two monitors

I'm sorry, but I think Jeff must be on crack.

Stretching a time line over two monitors speeds things up incredibly, not slows them down.

The monitors must be the same size and model and make, and they should be lined up next to one another quite exactly. Then, stretch the time line across both monitors, arrange the bins window and the other windows where you want them, and save it as a custom layout, with the preference that it automatically open with your custom layout. Seeing more of the time-line across two monitors is very liberating and functional. You can go to different part of the time line more quickly, and edit more quickly and efficiently. Two, or even three monitors is absolutely fabulous for FCP.

1 - 23" monitor has a timeline of 1600 pixels
2 - 17", 18" or 19" monitors have a timeline of 2560 pixels
3 - 17", 18" or 19" monitors have a timeline of 3840 pixels

By far the most expensive option of the three above options is the single 23" monitor.

Recently realized problem to note: In my older computers, I found no problem in getting cheap PCI monitor cards. Now, I can't seem to find any that are sure to work in my upcoming 2Ghz G5. Seems I'm stuck with only 2 monitors, short of experimenting with no assurance of success. Two monitors is my future, though I currently use three.

Ken Tanaka August 20th, 2003 09:32 PM

No, Jeff's not "on crack". (What an odd remark from someone who uses such an erudite title.) To each his own.

Being able to quickly adjust the time line's relative length makes its physical length rather irrelevent. Using nested timeline structures for complex sequences, as is normally done, further further diminishes the importance of physical length on the screen.

So making use of the professional features of FCP, especially when used on a huge Cinema display, really does make 2-monitor timelines unnecessary and probably would slow most users down.

Glenn Chan August 20th, 2003 09:54 PM

I would find dual monitors very useful for FCP, even if the other monitor is a cheesy CRT. If the monitors are not matched, I would put the bin and the monitor on the lefthand screen. There are some other combinations that would be useful (especially when color correcting and using scopes).

Ken Tanaka August 20th, 2003 10:13 PM

Clarification

Dual monitors may very well be desirable for use with FCP or Avid, particularly if you're using smaller monitors. I was specifically addressing the subject of splaying a timeline across two monitors.

Michael Botkin August 20th, 2003 11:18 PM

So does everyone at least agree that the 23" Apple display would be sufficient by itself for FCP 4 to start with? Is everyone impressed by that monitor?

Michael Botkin

Ken Tanaka August 20th, 2003 11:28 PM

I certainly think so. It's an enormous monitor with even higher resolution than the 22" Cinema I use. There's more than adequate space to edit comfortably.

Instead of getting another computer monitor I'd recommend devoting those funds towards getting a first-rate (CRT) production monitor.

Jeff Donald August 21st, 2003 05:41 AM

The 23 inch ACD will be great for editing. Plenty of room to have all your windows, palettes, and a long timeline stretched across the bottom. Awesome setup. A good production monitor (8 to 14 inch) will be needed. The phosphors or LCD's will never match NTSC video.

Michael Botkin August 21st, 2003 12:24 PM

Thanks guys for your help. I'll be getting the dual G5 and 23' display once they have more to ship.

Michael

Jeff Price August 22nd, 2003 09:37 AM

Then there is the long rumored 30" cinema display.......

Also, a 17" cinema display that may cause the price of 17" non-cinema displays to drop to the point where they are really cheap to use as a second monitor (plus an NTSC for 3).

Benjamin Taft August 25th, 2003 03:38 PM

Here's the best solution for you: get two 23" HD displays. Apple notes on their websie that this works with a standard G5 setup. You know you will never be happy with anything less. ;)

Adrian Douglas August 25th, 2003 07:15 PM

I usually find LCDs to be rather flat and dim. I much prefer CRT monitors for their brightness and more accurate colour reproduction. However, I've never seen the 23" Apple display only the 22" so I can't compare it.

Ken Tanaka August 25th, 2003 07:40 PM

Flat yes. The Cinema displays are physically flat. Dim, no. Far brighter than any CRT monitor. Once you see one you will want one.

Adrian Douglas August 25th, 2003 09:19 PM

By flat I meant the colours seem to lack the punch you get with a CRT monitor. I've heard lots of good things about the Apple 23" display but would still take CRTs over other LCD displays