FCP not ingesting part of tape, please help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 25th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP not ingesting part of tape, please help!

I am trying to capture a long HDV segment (35 mins or so) from my gy-hd100. It's the first of several clips on this tape, and while all the subsequent clips are captured just fine, the first one just doesn't show up in my browser. Anyone have a solution?

Thanks!

Chris

p.s.- if there's already a thread addressing it, I have not been able to find it. Please direct me if necessary.
Christopher Glavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Wrangler

If there is a dropout at any point in that first section FCP will reject it.

The alternate workflow is to use HDVxDV demo or CapDVHS to capture that clip as a m2t file.

Then "wrap" it in Quicktime with ClipWrap.
Note that wrapping (encapsulating) is different than re-compressing (transcoding) with a program like MpegStreamclip and therefore there will be no generation loss.
Old September 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Tim,

Thanks for the response. I'm working on a PPC mac, and am having a hard time finding a version of capdvhs that will work for me. Is there one?

Also, I have downloaded trial versions of both hdvxdv and clipwrap to test, so I know what the $130 I have to spend looks like. Captured about a minute of footage with hdvxdv. Went to clipwrap and when I try to open the m2t clipwrap crashes. Doesn't look like something I want to spend a significant chunk of money on. I've gotta have better for wedding vids!

Chris
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I use a PPC G5, 10.5 and CapDVHS works great.

I occasionally have the same problem with HDV footage from a HD-100. The newest version of ClipWrap should work great with clips that have busted timecode.
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #5
Major Player

William,

For all my searching, all I've found is this which is only for Windows. I can't find a PPC version on the web. Do you have a link to it?

Thanks!!!

Chris

Last edited by Christopher Glavan; September 25th, 2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old September 27th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Progress! I found DVHSCap (not CapDVHS- no wonder I couldn't find it!) in Apple's Firewire SDK package. While I couldn't get DVHSCap to recognize my camera, I did find another tool that works well: AVCVideoCap, part of the same SDK. My video is being captured as an m2t file just fine, but now I have a new problem...

It seems no matter what program I use to capture, my file automatically gets capped a shade under 4gb. This is a long clip (wedding ceremony, around 35 minutes), and it seems when a capture file gets capped no new one is created to continue the capture. I think this may be why I was having problems with FCP initially!

Is there a work-around for this issue?

Thanks for all the help thus far!

Chris
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Restart the capture around where the cut off happens. This is indicative of a serious break in the recorded mpeg2 stream perhaps from tape dropout.
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Found the solution to my problem. For whatever reason, my external scratch disk was formatted FAT32, which was capping my file size at 4gb. Reformatted the drive to OSX Extended and am now getting beautiful full capture of my 34 minute clip with no errors!

Chris
Christopher Glavan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite