Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 1st, 2008, 12:12 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfried Dobbe View Post
Consider buying the dual CPU (8 core) version. It's quite expensive to buy the second CPU + heat sink later.
Are you saying go with the Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon?
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:29 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
Hey Jim, thanks for the link. I normally go to NewEgg or Tigerdirect to look up prices on computer parts. Is there a certain Timing or cas latency I should be looking for to be compatable with the motherboard and Apple RAM I will be mixing this with?

I found what seams to be a good deal for RAM on Newegg
Just a warning here: I've had bad experience with newegg when I bought RAM there for my G5. The RAM failed a couple months later and newegg only offers direct replacement within 30 days. Afterwards, you're left with the manufacturer's warranty. In my case (ADATA) never honored the warranty and I was left with 2 bad sticks. Newegg wasn't willing to cover this. Ever since, I stick to OWC (Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC). It might cost a few bucks more, but you get lifetime warranty and only a few questions asked if a RAM fails - which has happened to me with RAM for my MBP I had bought there. No big deal, after answering all their questions I got a replacement module. I'm not trying to flame newegg here, just telling my story...
Hope this helps.

Best,
Dino
Dino Leone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:30 AM   #33
Major Player

Alright man, Thanks alot for the heads up.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:22 PM   #34
Major Player

i just got my two quad core 2.8ghz two days ago, and ohbaby it puuurrrsss=D
Old October 4th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Simons View Post
i just got my two quad core 2.8ghz two days ago, and ohbaby it puuurrrsss=D
Haha. I am opting for one quad core 2.8 ...any particular reason you went with two as apose to one? It'd be good to know now because I won't be able to buy one of those later..
Old October 4th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #36
Major Player

i just like all that power =D and i know when i bought my old power mac 5 years ago or so, i got the bottom of the line-ish 1.8ghz, and i regretted it. And it just one of those things that you can't upgrade down the line, so i took the bullet and bought the 2 quads.

$2,944-For:
AirPort Extreme card (Wi-Fi)
Two 16x SuperDrives
Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
Apple Mighty Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + User's Guide
2GB (2 x 1GB)
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Accessory kit
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link)
and you could probably get away with the ATI card, which takes bout 150, off the price, i hear it performs better with the pro-aps. the only reason i went with nvidia was because avid doesn't support ati cards, so its hit and miss. You could also take off another hundred if you only want one dvd burner (for now,that can be upgraded later i believe)
than pick up this monitor:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/...-LCD_S203-2269

than down the line (within the year) buy the warranty(199 with student discount) for the computer once you start to make money with this baby.
it comes out to just about the same price your original post said.

EDIT: i just made the lowest computer i could on the apple store education section (with 2 2.8ghz quad core) and it comes out to $2,599.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite