Am I doing this wrong? (Render speeds) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 4th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Major Player

Am I doing this wrong? (Render speeds)

It's taking me an hour to render 4 minutes of HD footage - but I'm rendering it to 25% resolution quality (which is about 180p!) I can't help but think I've got a setting wrong somewhere.

What are your rendering settings set at?
Old October 4th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Major Player

what computer are you running it on?
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Simons View Post
what computer are you running it on?
MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 2GB RAM (I've got a 4GB upgrade in the mail)
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Better than Halle Berry

Editing HDV or DVCPROHD or what? "HD" can mean a lot of different things. Exporting to what formats? Rendering takes time sure... :)

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Kadner View Post
Editing HDV or DVCPROHD or what? "HD" can mean a lot of different things. Exporting to what formats? Rendering takes time sure... :)

Noah
I'm editing HDV - specifically, I've got 1080p24 H.264 files, and I'm editing them together into HDV 720p24 files at 1/4 resolution. Should I be using ProRes? Apple Intermediate Codec? (I don't have the HD space for that last one.)
Old October 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

h.264 is not HDV. This might be why you are having a problem. HDV is Mpeg2. Where did this file come from? Regardless, you should be using ProRes to edit, especially if you need do color correction and other effects. Edit full resolution and then export to whatever your delivery format is. Get more hard drive space if you are truly running out.
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
h.264 is not HDV. This might be why you are having a problem. HDV is Mpeg2. Where did this file come from? Regardless, you should be using ProRes to edit, especially if you need do color correction and other effects. Edit full resolution and then export to whatever your delivery format is. Get more hard drive space if you are truly running out.
Allow me to explain:

I'm doing a feature documentary. I've got about 40-50 hours of HDV 1440x1080 footage on tape.

It was captured as a 60i stream from the HV20 using Final Cut Pro. I then used JES Deinterlacer to do an inverse telecine to get to the "true" 24p stream inside of it. During that process it was converted to Photo-JPEG in JES Deinterlacer.

As you know, Photo-JPEG files are ungodly-huge. In order to store all this information, I used Compressor to convert anything that was "talking heads" to H.264 files, and to convert anything that was "fast motion" or "handheld" back to HDV. This allowed me to save my entire stock in less than 500 GB, which was all I had when I started. Now, I've got 3TB of external storage, including a portable 500GB drive that I use just for editing when I'm at coffeeshops where I find I'm the most motivated.

Now I'm working on the rough cut. THAT, I now have the HD space to render in ProRes, HDV, even perhaps Photo-JPEG or uncompressed 8 bit, because we're only talking 2 hours of footage making it into the rough cut.

Maybe I screwed myself by storing the files as H.264 - since I really didn't have any other option for storing the files, then I'll have to live with it. But I find it counter-intuitive that it takes forever to render OUT of H.264, compared to rendering IN H.264.
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If you can't recapture the needed footage directly from tape (recommended) then recompress the h.264 files to ProRes. Presently h.264 is not a format for editing, way too much work for the computer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite