ProRes HQ vs HDV - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 28th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #16
Major Player

You gain two things by capturing from HDV to ProRes

1) in the cons camp, file size ... there is certainly zero quality gain in doing so
2) in the pros camp, faster post handling

Thats it.

So ultimately your capture method should be determined by the nature of your post environment. If you're a straight cuts and effects kind of facility then you have nothing really tangible to gain by ingesting everything as ProRes, as you can set your renders to ProRes (or your whole timeline to ProRes) and output your master as ProRes or whatever is required. But if you're doing heavy effects and keying ie going to be spending a lot of time rendering RAM previews and what have you (as it sounds like you are) then you'll be glad of the faster handling/rendering that you'll get from ProRes masterclips in a native ProRes timeline.
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #17
Major Player

I'll answer this since I think no-one else has

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
4. Is there any sense to shoot 24p, since it's going to be only about 1/4 of the footage? (or is it simply just going to complicate the post workflow without much benefit?)
Any advice appreciated
Sincerely- Robert Rogoz
No, stick with 30p. Mixing frame rates is possible but it's tedious a fraught with difficulties and best avoided if you have the chance to do so..

You say you're showing this on a buig screen. if it's via a digital projector, that's shouldn;t be an issue as digital projectors can handle 30p.

If it's a blow up to 35mm film that 75% 30p footage will cause you a lot of pain anyway that you'll have to deal with so you might as well make the editing stage fairly simple.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:55 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar View Post
You really can have the best of both worlds on a Mac...

Shoot and capture HDV.

In your sequence settings change the compression setting to ProRes and in your render settings change over to 10 bit.

There is no advantage to digitizing all your footage as ProRes because you are essentially doing the same thing in the workflow I just described!

Or just edit everything in HDV and then drop into a ProRes sequence and render all night which is fine too.

With regards to JVC- the only advantage to digitizing as ProRes is that you can digitize a whole tape as one clip, which is not possible with JVC HDV. It breaks up the clips at each start/stop.

Hi, I like this solution a lot. Quick question - I already edited my footage in the HDV timeline and actually rendered about 30% of it. I'm wondering is it too late to set sequence settings to Pro Res and 10 bit rendering as Justin suggested?

Thanks a lot
Raymond Jebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:31 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar View Post
You really can have the best of both worlds on a Mac...

Shoot and capture HDV.

In your sequence settings change the compression setting to ProRes and in your render settings change over to 10 bit.

There is no advantage to digitizing all your footage as ProRes because you are essentially doing the same thing in the workflow I just described!

Or just edit everything in HDV and then drop into a ProRes sequence and render all night which is fine too.

With regards to JVC- the only advantage to digitizing as ProRes is that you can digitize a whole tape as one clip, which is not possible with JVC HDV. It breaks up the clips at each start/stop.

Hello, I edited my film in HDV timeline and I just read this and went to change the timeline settings to 10-it, but it's greyd out. Does anyone know why? Many thanks
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:24 AM   #20
Major Player

you need to create a new sequence, set the settings to pro res etc. BEFORE adding clips, copy the HDV sequence and paste into the new sequence.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:35 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Thank you Brian!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:24 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Jebb View Post
Hi, I like this solution a lot. Quick question - I already edited my footage in the HDV timeline and actually rendered about 30% of it. I'm wondering is it too late to set sequence settings to Pro Res and 10 bit rendering as Justin suggested?

Thanks a lot
Nope, just go into "Sequence Settings" and change the settings in the Render Tab. Everything you already rendered will need to be rendered again.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Thank you!
Raymond Jebb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite