DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Glavan View Post
One of AE's shortcomings is its point-tracking system for tracking and stabilizing. If you're panning and your point trackers move off screen, all your tracking data is useless.
VideoCopilot.net Video Tutorials & Post Production covers tracking when track points move of screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin
I will give Shake 4.1 the two-pass test on the 25% of the clips that need it from the shoot and try 1.07 scale.

It was my mistake with the high frequency put in by the machine it was a low frequency from the track & balance being off on the blades. The pilot is taking care of that this week so our next shoot is better.
One of the tricks I use is to "pan and scan" the image with a Move2D node to minimize the amount of scaling I have to do to it (I also use the same node to do the scale) If you have a smooth cam that pulls the frame to the right or the left, you can keyframe the move oppositely so that you don't have to scale the image up as much thereby keeping some of the pixel integrity that you would otherwise be sacrificing.

OOH! and you can use Shake and the optical flow stuff to retime shots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhfgVcyTH1M

a search on youtube for shake gives tons of valuable tutorials as well (which are much easier for me to learn from than books sadly).

Last edited by Cole McDonald; October 20th, 2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: More Info!!!
Cole McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #17
Trustee

And just found this from emeeks on youtube (his other vlogs are a bit over the top, but his instructional stuff is great!)

YouTube - Apple Shake Tutorial: Advanced Smooth Cam
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:03 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks for the links Cole! Didn't know you could do that in AE... still learning every day =)
Christopher Glavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:37 AM   #19
Trustee

We all happen across neat random things online... sharing makes the community better :)
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:07 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Cole excellent makes me realize Shake 4.1 is going to be worth every penny for my type of shooting. Thank You
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM   #21
Trustee

All good, someday, someone will ask a question about this same thing and you'll be able to give links and advice on the subject too. Knowledge wants to be free! It's easier to spread than warm creamy peanut butter :)
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I agree Cole and always happy to help people on DVinfo.net when i can give the right information as you have with me.
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Well I have been playing with Shake for two days and it is very powerful. Thank god for Lynda.com.

Having a problem playing the smoothed out clip in FC.

Work flow:
I export the clip from FC to shake. Then I set the global parameters. Add a smooth node and analyze at smooth, in, and keep all the rest the same to test.

Then in the Fileout node, which came in with the clip from FC, I render out.

It pops up on a track over the old clip. But when I go to play it brings up the window “Warning – Dropped Frames”. I have this at time when my RAID is just starting in the morning but never after that. All the options are tried. And my machine is Mac Pro 8 – 3.0 processors, 16 GB ram so not sure what is happening.

Tricks?

Looks great for 1 sec but then will not run further with out clicking OK then another sec.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; October 24th, 2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: More info
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite