Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Major Player

pc to mac on a hard drive

not sure where else to post this but maybe you mac guys will know the answer

if I use an external drive and connect it to a PC (win XP), load a bunch of videos on there, and then disconnect it from the PC and connect it to a mac (probably firewire in both cases), will the mac be able to read the drive and files?

I'm on tigerdirect's site and they have some external drives formatted for the mac, but I am just not sure if both XP and mac OS can read the same physical drive...

anyone know??

thanks..
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Format them for the PC, the mac will be able to read them... Won't be able to write to an NTFS partition yet, but it'll mount and read it. So FAT32 is a good choice for transfer between Mac/PC. Only supports 4gb filesizes, so you'll have to chop down / split up large vid files if you have them.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald View Post
Format them for the PC, the mac will be able to read them... Won't be able to write to an NTFS partition yet, but it'll mount and read it. So FAT32 is a good choice for transfer between Mac/PC. Only supports 4gb filesizes, so you'll have to chop down / split up large vid files if you have them.

thanks, I appreciate it ... so the mac can write to FAT32?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Remember that FAT32 is limited to a 4GB max file size... Not so great for video. Especially HD video.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Major Player

A friend put me on to a simple, free application called MacFUSE when I complained to him about the 4 GB file limitations I was encountering. He said it was for NTFS support on my Mac.

Perhaps it might prove useful in your case.

The download link is here:

MacFUSE 1.7.1 - MacUpdate

On that page it also gives a full technical explanation of exactly what it does (above my head, I'm afraid, but those who are more OS-savvy will probably appreciate it).

It may or may not solve your problem, but worth checking out.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Major Player

guys, thanks. Actually the 4GB limit should not be a problem as I will be segmenting these files into scenes, and I would expect each to be under 4 gigs, so I appreciate it. And, since it's not my mac, I'll probably go w FAT32 so that no extra drivers or SW are required for access. Thanks for all the tips, I greatly appreciate it, this board is the best!!
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Note that when you buy USB passport or USB powered external drives these days, they already come formatted FAT32, and you can swap them at will between PCs and Macs. As long as your workflow keeps all your file sizes below 4GB (like P2 workflow), it is an easy process.
Dick Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #8

I regularly use MACDRIVE7 for reading my HFS+ formatted drives on my PC. No size limit to files.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
I regularly use MACDRIVE7 for reading my HFS+ formatted drives on my PC. No size limit to files.
I bought this too in the spring. Works GREAT! And not too expensive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite