DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   No Log & Capture Window in FCP with HDV Settings? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/137194-no-log-capture-window-fcp-hdv-settings.html)

Travis Cossel November 4th, 2008 03:38 PM

No Log & Capture Window in FCP with HDV Settings?

Is there any way to capture just a 30 second portion of an hour long HDV recording on MiniDV tape? I have like 64 tapes I need to pull clips from and I don't want to have to capture 64 hours of footage when all I need is maybe 10 minutes worth of clips.

When I select "log and capture" in FCP it just pops up a small window that says "HDV Capture" and asks me to select a file name. From there it just automatically captures the entire tape. When I first bought my Canon A1's I was able to use the actual log & capture window, so I don't know what changed. I'm thinking it must be a setting, but everything seems set right. Capture is through a Canon HV30. Footage shot on Canon A1's in 24F.

Sequence Preset: Apple ProRes 422 1440x1080 24p 48kHz

Capture Preset: HDV - Apple ProRes 422

Device Control Preset: HDV Firewire Basic (and I've also tried HDV Firewire)

I just need to know how to get the log and capture window back so I don't have to capture entire tapes.

Dana Salsbury November 4th, 2008 05:14 PM

If I'm reading you correctly, it sounds like you just need to hit escape during the capture. I have run into the different window, and I imagine it's a setting, as there are many settings that are HDV. If you're doing a batch, then I don't know.

Hope you're well.

Hey, BTW, how many weddings do you film in a year? Boise is lucky to have you for such a small town.

Dino Leone November 4th, 2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 959559)
Is there any way to capture just a 30 second portion of an hour long HDV recording on MiniDV tape? I have like 64 tapes I need to pull clips from and I don't want to have to capture 64 hours of footage when all I need is maybe 10 minutes worth of clips.

When I select "log and capture" in FCP it just pops up a small window that says "HDV Capture" and asks me to select a file name. From there it just automatically captures the entire tape. When I first bought my Canon A1's I was able to use the actual log & capture window, so I don't know what changed. I'm thinking it must be a setting, but everything seems set right. Capture is through a Canon HV30. Footage shot on Canon A1's in 24F.

Sequence Preset: Apple ProRes 422 1440x1080 24p 48kHz

Capture Preset: HDV - Apple ProRes 422

Device Control Preset: HDV Firewire Basic (and I've also tried HDV Firewire)

I just need to know how to get the log and capture window back so I don't have to capture entire tapes.

I've had this problem when I switched from HDV to prores. I then noticed that the traditional log and capture window no longer is available. Try switching back to HDV 1080p24 (or whatever you're using), you should then have the capture window again. You can transcode to pro res in the actual sequence by setting the sequence to prores.

Best,
Dino

Travis Cossel November 4th, 2008 06:19 PM

Dana, thanks for the kind words. I average around 15 weddings a year, and starting this year I'm limiting myself to a maximum of 15 so I can provide even better service.

Dino, I'll have to try that. You are correct that when I select "log & capture" I don't get the traditional log and capture window anymore. The funny thing is that this was working fine before, even though I was using a ProRes preset. It just stopped working. I'll try switching back to HDV and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the idea!