DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   mixing 30p with interlace footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/137272-mixing-30p-interlace-footage.html)

Jason LeFrense November 5th, 2008 08:16 PM

mixing 30p with interlace footage

I'm editing projects that are shot with Z7 and the PD170. The footage is a mixture of 30p and just normal interlace footage from the 170. When I encode the project using compressor (3.0.4) I can't seem to find a way to encode it with a progressive setting so I can lose the interlace lines in my project clips that are shot in interlace. Does anyone have a workflow or any ideas I can do to help with this problem.

Thanks

Aric Mannion November 6th, 2008 02:29 PM

I don't think you can simply de-interlace your footage, since some of the footage is progressive. That should make the interlaced footage look progressive, and the progressive footage look crunchy (which is what happens when you de-interlace footage that is not interlaced).
It is worth a try though!

I've had this problem trying to de-interlace a video in after effects that had progressive footage mixed in. But in my case this fixed the problem:

Export Quicktime (not conversion) from Final Cut Pro as a Reference file (Very important not to do self contained in THIS case.)
Open the ref file in Quicktime pro and go into properties (command J).
Click on the row that says video track, and select the visual settings tab.
Check the box that says single field, and save. See if it is de-interlaced now, make sure your progressive footage still looks OK.

I've found that when I do this, and import the video into after effects, it is not interlaced.
But when you do the same thing with a self contained movie, after effects still shows the interlace lines. In your case, maybe compressor will recognize the video as progressive, and you won't need to de-interlace when you compress the video.

Jason LeFrense November 6th, 2008 08:53 PM

Thanks Aric I will try that as well. I encoded it with compressor using H.264 with the HDV 1080p30 codec and it worked great it fixed the interlaced problems with my 170 footage.

Jason LeFrense November 6th, 2008 08:56 PM

Andrew & Shannon on Vimeo

this is the video with the compression using the compressor H.264 with the HDV.1080p30 codec.

Patrick Forestell November 7th, 2008 10:45 AM

Your right !

Your right !

In my case I make a QucikTime reference file from a AVID 29.97i timeline that has on it's timeline videos shot at 30p (actually 29.97 with flags to mimic 30p) and regular infamous 29.97i video with dissolves and chyrons (name keys that are 29.97i).

Anyway I use Vegas' Pro8 to change the resultant QT file properties to progressive scan and in my case 16:9 PAR of 1.21 and burn that file as MPEG-2 to DVD and the results are perfect.

Patrick