DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Client has FCP 5.1.4 and wants to view EX1 footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/137302-client-has-fcp-5-1-4-wants-view-ex1-footage.html)

Heath McKnight November 6th, 2008 08:55 AM

Client has FCP 5.1.4 and wants to view EX1 footage

Short of them upgrading to FCP 6 (which I recommended), what else can they do to view my EX1 raw footage? They want me to put about 10-12 hours of raw footage on DVD, which isn't part of our agreement. And I refuse to let them rip footage from a DVD to edit with.

They can't even open the clips in QuickTime 7.5.5, but I can without a problem. I really don't want to tie my computer up for a while putting this stuff to DVD, so if there's an application out there they can use to open and view EX1 footage in Final Cut Pro 5.1.4, please let me know. MPEG StreamClip?

Thanks,

Heath

Meryem Ersoz November 6th, 2008 11:02 AM

10-12 hours is a lot...

When clients want to review footage before I have a rough cut, I tell them that they are welcome to come over to my studio and spend all the time that they want, reviewing the footage on our systems. But that no footage can leave the studio until the project is completed. I'll set them up and they can make all the notes they want, and I can go about my day doing other things, but if they need my attention, I'll charge them for consultation time.

Another option that I use is to do a smaller web-style low-quality compression of project previews, using an unuseable codec, like sorenson 3 and then FTP it to a site where they can then download and preview. But to do that with 10-12 hours of work is unreasonable. Unless you charge them something for the compression and upload.

You can also export an XML file, using the Apple XML Interchange Format, and that would allow them to use an earlier version of FCP to view the files, but this still assumes having the master files on a hard drive for them to link back to, so you would still be allowing them access to copying files. So that's kind of a non-solution.

Noah Kadner November 6th, 2008 11:09 AM

Have they tried the Sony XDCAM EX transfer software? That should at least let them view the proxies. Why not just charge them for a transfer to a format they can use such as a low-res DV. You can easily setup an overnight render in Compressor in like five minutes and charge them a little something.

What's the next step? Are you intending to charge them for editing? If so, it's only fair they be allowed to view their dailies in total- either at your place or at theirs. If you're not planning to edit for them then you owe them all the more a usable version of the footage- with or without their upgrading to FCP6.

Noah

Shaun Roemich November 6th, 2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Kadner (Post 960277)
If you're not planning to edit for them then you owe them all the more a usable version of the footage- with or without their upgrading to FCP6.

IF that was part of the agreement. I supply what I was requested to supply at the figure I quote. If in hindsight the client realizes they need something different, I reserve the right to charge for my time.

Heath McKnight November 6th, 2008 11:50 AM

The deal was for me to shoot and edit (and I ended up producing and co-writing), and they keep the raw footage. I handed them a refined cut the other day, and they wanted to view the footage to see if there was more stuff.

I have no notes, so it's difficult to do anymore revisions.

Thanks, guys. And hat tip to Noah for the XDCAM software!

heath

Heath McKnight November 6th, 2008 11:56 AM

ps-I gave them the processed QuickTime movies. I can open them on various computers in QT 7.5.5 (player and pro), but they can't. Is it because the computers have FCP 6.0.x?

Will any of the programs show that?

heath

Pete Cofrancesco November 6th, 2008 11:59 AM

Don't tell me its a wedding. lol Like someone said it depends on what you initially promised the client. Explain to them the lengthy process of converting the footage and ask to be compensated for your time.

In addition you could avoid encoding dvds and simply transcode it from XDcam to HDV/DV format that fcp5 can read and put it on an external hard drive. Is this so he can send you the timecode breaks or does he want to edit the final piece himself?

Heath McKnight November 6th, 2008 12:23 PM

Not a wedding--local reality show.

Okay, here's my new question... How can I take ALL the clips, put it in Compressor, and just compress them all as regular DV QuickTimes? Do I have to drop them all onto a timeline? I want individual transcoded clips.

Thanks,

heath

Pete Cofrancesco November 6th, 2008 12:42 PM

I'm not sure if Compressor accepts XDcam format but give it a try. Otherwise use fcp batch export.

Heath McKnight November 6th, 2008 12:44 PM

Do I need to put the clips onto a timeline, or can I do it directly from capture scratch and just "drag and drop" the files into compressor? Will it make individual clips or one big QT movie? I've never attempted this before; I usually use File, Export, QT Movie or QT Conversion.

Thanks,

Heath