DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Simple & Embarrassing Question - Video Only & Grouping (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/137563-simple-embarrassing-question-video-only-grouping.html)

Tim Kay November 11th, 2008 04:28 AM

Simple & Embarrassing Question - Video Only & Grouping

Hi all,

So this is the first of probably what will be many of my "Simple & Embarrassing Questions". I've just switched from Sony Vegas to FCP and i'm excited to learn this new and challenging interface.

So my question is how do select video only from my preview monitor ? It always bringings it with audio and i'm doing a video only edit.

Also, i'm not sure how I managed to do this but in my timeline I have all my tracks independent (meaning I can move just video or audio). How do I make them grouped together again (also whats the lingo FCP uses)? In Vegas this was easy, but having some difficulty here.

Thanks for the help my new FCP friends!

Piero Fiorani November 13th, 2008 01:09 AM

If you have a clip where you want to remove audio, you can insert the clip into the timeline, select the clip, issue cmd-L (unlink): now you can select the audio portion only and delete it.

Instead, if now audio and video in the timeline seem not linked (even if part of the same clip) probably you hit the Linked Selection button (shift-L) on the top right corner of the timeline. This, different from cmd-L, temporarily makes the audio portions of all clips in the timeline independent of the corresponding video; each of them gets linked back to their video as soon as you toggle shift-L again.

Piero

Tim Kay November 13th, 2008 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piero Fiorani (Post 962900)
If you have a clip where you want to remove audio, you can insert the clip into the timeline, select the clip, issue cmd-L (unlink): now you can select the audio portion only and delete it.

Instead, if now audio and video in the timeline seem not linked (even if part of the same clip) probably you hit the Linked Selection button (shift-L) on the top right corner of the timeline. This, different from cmd-L, temporarily makes the audio portions of all clips in the timeline independent of the corresponding video; each of them gets linked back to their video as soon as you toggle shift-L again.

Piero

There was at least 7 comments on this thread - did they get deleted ?

Andy Mees November 13th, 2008 01:58 AM

>how do select video only from my preview monitor ?

Andy

This is the basic principle of track patching. You target your selected tracks in the source/destination patch area at left of the timeline. Click and drag the source track tabs to target and connect them with the destination tracks. To produce a video only edit then taget only the video track ie break the links on the audio tracks

Hope it helps
Andy Mees

Mike Hanlon November 18th, 2008 07:56 PM

Not sure if this technique is what you are looking for, but when I only want the video part of a clip to be added to the timeline, I lock the audio channels (lock icon to the left; when locked, the channels have a cross hatch pattern on them) then add the clips to the timeline.

Mike.