DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 14th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Yet ANOTHER HDV capture issue...

Ok, I'm truly at my wits end! I searched through the forums for about an hour and a half and didn't find anything on this issue. A friend asked me to capture his HDV footage. "No problem!" I said. "I have an A1 myself so I capture HDV into FCP all the time! As a matter of fact, FCP6 will separate it each time you hit Start/Stop! Consider it done!" *more and more promises* . . . . Two weeks later, still not done.... Here's the setup:
I have six (RECYCLED dv!) tapes that a buddy of mine used to capture some HDV footage on an A1. Each tape has 30-45 mins of footage. After much frustration, I discovered, through this forum, that it won't separate the clips at Start/Stop because the clock was not set. Cool, I can deal. Then the TRUE problem began... I hit capture now and it goes through the capture process but never puts a file in the logging bin OR in the Capture Scratch folder. The same result with loggin and batch capturing. Am I missing something here? All Scratch Disks and Logging Bins are set up correctly. I just did the most recent ProApps update but I would think if it was the update, I would have been able to find someone with a similar problem by now. It's driving me nuts... Any help would be MUCH appreciated! *bows to the dvinfo gods*
Adam Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #2
Wrangler

A couple of thoughts.

1. When I capture HDV I first have to hit the play button and then Capture "Now"
2. What options did you use for your "Capture Preset" and your "Device Control Preset" (under Audio/Video settings in the Final Cut Pro menu)
3. Have you trashed preferences?
Old November 15th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #3
Wrangler

Also in the Log & Capture window under "Clip Settings", make sure you've checked the boxes for Audio and Video.
Old November 15th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Just a thought, might not have anything to do with your situation, but this was brought to my attention when I was having issues with FCP refusing to capture longer clips: my scratch drive was not properly formatted, and when the file size exceeded 4gb, FCP simply trashed the capture. I had to reformat my scratch so it was Mac OS Extended+Journaled.
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ward View Post
I have six (RECYCLED dv!) tapes that a buddy of mine used to capture some HDV footage on an A1. Each tape has 30-45 mins of footage. After much frustration, I discovered, through this forum, that it won't separate the clips at Start/Stop because the clock was not set.
Bad and bad. Recycled DV tapes can introduce a lot of HDV dropout. The missing clock is not good either. Consider using DVHScap (a free Apple program) to capture the m2v stream off the tapes and another program to convert the stream into usable HDV. MPEGStreamclip is a free program that does this but ClipWrap which is a low cost program does a much better and quicker job. There are numerous threads here that detail the process.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm having this same problem...but with brand new tapes. It goes all the way though the capture process just fine..but at the end of the tape it brings up a general error and I have no captured video. I know its not the drive because I've captured to this drive before.

Any one figure this out?

Jeremiah
Jeremiah McLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah McLamb View Post
I'm having this same problem...but with brand new tapes. It goes all the way though the capture process just fine..but at the end of the tape it brings up a general error and I have no captured video. I know its not the drive because I've captured to this drive before.

Any one figure this out?

Jeremiah
General error is a different problem, although I don't grasp the original poster's problem at all. In my experience that error is evil and happens for NO reason. TRASH YOUR PREFS! Use "Final Cut rescue" if you want to make it easier, and try capturing through a new project. General Error has happened to me for no reason, so that's how I fix it.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

i figured out my problem...2GB limit. Didn't realize this particular hard drive i was using was still on regular ol' FAT32.

jeremiah
Jeremiah McLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah McLamb View Post
i figured out my problem...2GB limit. Didn't realize this particular hard drive i was using was still on regular ol' FAT32.

jeremiah
That's why you got General Error? That doesn't make sense -you can still capture over 2 gigs of video with a FAT32 hard drive, I have done it many times. It just creates multiple files automatically which your captured video references. In final cut the video clip functions the same way, you can still have 1 long video that appears as multiple files in your capture scratch, and you would never even know.
I've never captured an entire tape as one long clip though, if that's what your doing?
Also I think FAT32 is a 4 gig limit.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite