Quicktime instead of Compressor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Quicktime instead of Compressor

After reading this on the Apple QuickTime site I have been able to produce small size nice quality from 720P Quicktime.
Apple - QuickTime - Tutorials - Creating Amazing Video Content with H.264

Are others using this option to render for their web sites?
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, I have used Quicktime compressor for virtually all my work originated in DV25, 1080i HDV and 720p H.264/AVC (in MP4 wrapper) etc. and exported to DV stream, m2t MPEG-2, as well as various AppleTV, iPod/iPhone-compatible formats with varying specs with excellent results.

My only use for the stand-alone Compressor is when compressing files to SD DVD-ready MPEG-2 format for re-exporting to DVD Studio Pro.

However, for web contents you may need Adobe or Sorenson Squeez to compress to one of the Flash video formats as Quicktime does not seem to support Flash.

Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #3
Trustee

I tend to use Quicktime rather than compressor and I have a flix plug in that gives flash option in the export list.
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I use Quicktime most of the time because compressor is way too slow. When I do use compressor the stuff looks great.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Gary what fix plug do you use to create flash from Quicktime? How is the quality compared to Quicktime streaming? The Quicktime streaming are very small files which load quickly.
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Wall View Post
I use Quicktime most of the time because compressor is way too slow. When I do use compressor the stuff looks great.
Compressor can be slow if it isn't set up to use all the processing cores. I am still relatively new to FCP, but I remember when I first got it I found that I had to go into Apple Qmaster and set it up. After that Compressor was much faster.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes - I'd be interested in knowing about the flash plug in. I use the H.264 codec (either exported from Quicktime or sent to compressor via h.264 LAN settings) and the results, considering the small file size, are impressive. In flash however, the clips fall apart at the seams - terrible degradation.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #8
Trustee

I am using the flix exporter:On2 Flix Exporter - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
There is a free trial available.

I prefer the apple codecs but we have been having problems with them when uploaded to our streaming site.

The flix takes a long time to encode and the quality is not as good as apple desktop but at the moment we have to upload flash.
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Simon that is a good point. When I switched to Mac last year I set up Compressor in Apple Qmaster. It is not the speed that had me look else were it is the files size for the web. Matching files size with picture quality I have found QuickTime is doing a better job. But for all other outputs I use Compressor.

Thanks Gary.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite