Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 21st, 2008, 04:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCS license question!

Hello,

I have just strated a small video production business with a friend of mine. We have purchased a Mac Pro each that are not on a network but will be connected at different locations to the internet.

I have looked at Final Cut Studio 2 but it appears that you can only buy a 5 seat license. Does this mean we have to buy 2 copies of FCS??

This seems a tad extreme!

Many thanks

Darren
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Ruddock View Post
This seems a tad extreme!
Not to me. You had to buy two Macs ('cos you can't pirate/sorry/copy them) so you'll have to buy two copies of FCS. What did you expect?

You might find a retailer who'll give you a discount if you buy two copies at once - or if you bought two copies at the time you bought the Macs - after all it's a lot of money.
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Greetings Darren,

Let me ask you this: do both of you need the entire Studio, or would your workflow suite a set-up where one has FCS and one has FCE? I don't know what your workflow looks like, so this may be the wrong way to go, but wanted to offer an alternative as food for thought.
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #4
Better than Halle Berry

FCE and FCS are really not compatible as workflow solutions as they cannot easily share projects. FCE is just not something you put into a multi-user pro edit house, unless that house is doing all HDV and DV work with no DVD authoring or high-end color correction. If you want to be above board you pretty much have to buy two licenses- that's how it works.

-Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Kadner View Post
FCE and FCS are really not compatible as workflow solutions as they cannot easily share projects.
I haven't touched FCE since v1, so I am not up to speed on FCE features... but if it imports/exports EDLs, then it is a possible workflow. Certainly not ideal, and I wouldn't want to work that way, but I'm not the one looking to avoid buy an additional license.

I read the OP as there being just two people involved and that a 5-seat license was exorbitant (and a waste of three seats) but so was -- to the OP -- buying another FCS license.
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #6
Better than Halle Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post
I haven't touched FCE since v1, so I am not up to speed on FCE features... but if it imports/exports EDLs, then it is a possible workflow. Certainly not ideal, and I wouldn't want to work that way, but I'm not the one looking to avoid buy an additional license.

I read the OP as there being just two people involved and that a 5-seat license was exorbitant (and a waste of three seats) but so was -- to the OP -- buying another FCS license.
Nope- you cannot exchange EDLs with FCE plus it doesn't support many of the frame rates, resolutions and codecs FCP does. FCE is a great program- but as a junior version of FCP it's of very limited utility alongside FCP in the same edit facility. Unless you're working in DV or HDV- and even then you're missing a lot of stuff. A pro house should pony up for the pro apps for all its workstations.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:18 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Kadner View Post
A pro house should pony up for the pro apps for all its workstations.

Noah
Agreed!

Imagine a delivery service with 12 drivers but only one delivery van.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite