DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 8th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Moving from Vegas to FCP and SCARED

I am making the change from Vegas Video to FCP and was wondering if anyone had any links, tips or know of any posts, articles, blogs etc etc that could help me get started. I heard the transition is pretty rough.

ANYTHING that might help would be greatly appreciated.

I did buy a book called "The Filmmakers Guild to Final Cut Pro Workflow" so I will be reading that as well.

Thanks!
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #2
Major Player

I'd suggest getting the FCP keyboard. They're made by Bella I believe. When I moved from Avid to FCP, the keyboard was essential. You just have to look down at the keys to see which command and if you don't know, open up keyboard config in FCP. It will tell you the command (or keep the manual handy- command keys)

NLE's are virtually the same and based on the principles (edit footage in bin, move to source window, edit on timeline, compress/output). It's the commands and interface that are different. FCP is much more user friendly than an Avid and I didn't have a problem switching two years ago. You won't either. Get acquainted when it doesn't count (ie - don't edit client work on FCP until you get some chops and can output).

Hope this helps,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #3
Trustee

Go for it man,
I used vegas for years and have just gone to FCS2. The way you edit is not the same as Vegas but in a day or two you will be zipping around.
One of the things I miss about Vegas.
Being able to still work on the time line as the playhead is playing.
It seems with FCP you have to select a tool then do your edit or what ever but with Vegas your tool was allways in the mouse head, arrow.

FCP is great so get learning.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well I did it a few months ago and yes at first it seemed daunting (as Vegas is SO user friendly) but you'll get there and now there are things I like better (and some I still miss - but I still do the odd project in Vegas just to 'keep my hand in').

Best tip for a beginner is to watch the official Apple video tutorials on FCS2 (just Google it for a link) and then watch some unofficial ones.

Edit: adding link for you http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/tutorials/

Start with a fairly simple short project and follow the workflow all the way through and most of all have fun trying things out. Just remember, cmd z gives you a last action undo.
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Ya the FCP keyboard is a great idea, I will get one for sure.

NICE Andy I will check out those videos out tonight!

Thanks for the encouragement ev1!
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #6
Better than Halle Berry

Any particular cameras you'll be working with. Basic FCP editing is pretty easy, the challenges come in workflow for a particular camera or methodology. Also I recommend this KBCovers because they're cheap, reversible and make you look like a cool person:

Final Cut

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Kadner View Post
Any particular cameras you'll be working with. Basic FCP editing is pretty easy, the challenges come in workflow for a particular camera or methodology.
I will be using the Canon XH A1 so it will be HDV footage.

Hey those covers look cool, I will check those out, thanks.
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I found the Apple Pro Training Series with DVD tutorial an excellent resource to transition from a different editor. So goog, I later bought a couple others (Soundtrack Pro, Motion and Color).

I also use a kybd cover - very helpful
Dick Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #9
Trustee

I went through the same transition. There is a bit of a learning curve, but now that I am used to FCP I actually prefer it to Vegas.

If you really want a great reference to using FCP from scratch you couldn't do better than to get some of the Ripple Training series. They are absolutely superb and got me up to speed pretty fast.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Are you sure you need to do the switch? I find it anachronistic compared to Vegas.

In any case, I added FCP to my toolbox this summer. 40 hours working through the Apple Training Series FCP book was enough to get me Level 1 Certified.

I have a stack of the other books for FCS2. Aiming for 1/month this winter.

Giddyup. Yeehaw.

Also, watch out for long projects in HDV. Consider transcoding to AIC or ProRes or Cineform.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite