A constant, metronome like beeping in FCP. Argh, get it out! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 31st, 2003, 06:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A constant, metronome like beeping in FCP. Argh, get it out!

Hey everyone,

Very new to FCP (using FCP3) and I'm editing this project. I've noticed that on a couple of clips, there is this constant, metronome-like beeping that runs the length of the clip.

When I turn down the audio levels completely on the clip, the recorded sound goes but the rhythmic beeping remains.

Then I restore audio levels (or use another clip with beeping) and drag it to the timeline, and the beeping sound disappears but the recorded sound stays.

But like I said, only on a couple of clips - not all of them - have this beeping in the first place.

I'm sure someone hear can help me turn it off. I'm sure it's a toggle I accidentally hit while feeling my way around the program and though it doesn't seem to be a total issue (if its fine in the timeline, I should be okay, I guess), I'd like to know how to fix this.

Thanks so much,

Joshua

P.S. While we're at it, can anyone recommend the best book out there to learn about FCP? I find that the Help is actually pretty helpful (unlike on PCs) but I still need more I think.
Joshua Kopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 06:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The beeping happens when there is a mismatch between the clip and the sequence setting. For example, if you have an mp3 or something off of a CD or an imovie clip then you will get the metronome beeping. To fix this you want to convert those files (using iTunes, QT pro, or file-->export within FCP) to a 48khz AIFF. The highest quality settings are 48khz 16-bit uncompressed stereo. Import the sound files back into your project. The exception is if your project is 32khz/12bit, which is not the default for sequence settings. You sequence shouldn't 32khz/12bit unless your camera audio was 12bit/32khz (which it shouldn't be, unless you needed 4 channels of audio).

This has sort of been covered in the "newbist's FCE audio capture" thread.

In FCP3 you might have to lower your audio quality to medium or low.

ken stone's final cut pro website and lafcpug.org have some tutorials for FCP. Make sure you go through the capturing tutorial. the lafcpug.org store also has some training products for sale- search on the lafcpug.org forum for recommendations.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 09:08 PM   #3
Contributor

If it's what I think you're referring to - then it is indicating that the audio needs to be rendered. Either due to a non-real time filter or as mentioned a different codec / sample rate that needs to be processed.

In the small 'bar' above the timescale ruler in your timeline you should see small red strips - there is an upper and lower section. The upper section indicates video render state and the lower indicates audio render state. Is a red strip on the lower section of the clips that are doing this.

If so just select those clips and render or 'mixdown audio'. Any changes to levels, pan, filters or additional audio above/below these clips will require a new render.

HTH,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 10:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just a little more handholding, pleeease...

Sorry I didn't see that thread - I did search under "beeping" but that other guy called it "booping."

Moving on...now that you identified the issue, I did go back and look at the clip properties and all the ones that having beeping seem to be off just a little: 48,006Hz or 47,799Hz, etc. The ones that don't do that are 48KHz even.

Two questions: 1) Since it doesn't beep when I drag those clips to the timeline, does that mean that I don't need to actually fix the quality problem? That it isn't simply a tool to let me know and that when it comes to the finished product, it will play properly sans beeping on DVD or VHS or whatever? (Somehow I doubt this, and that I have to do the legwork...forgive me for looking for an easy way out.)

2) Could you handhold me a little more? You say I should export the audio files out to (let's say) Quicktime, convert them to 48KHz even (they're all already 16bit, that wasn't the issue) and then go back to FCP and import them again. But can you explain very simply how to isolate the right audio files and export them in the first place? And once you're done, how do you reimport it so that it's connected to the video footage from the original clip? Or do you have to export the audio & video together in order for them to remain together when you re-import? I don't know if all your setups are like this but despite the Audio Render Files and Waveform Cache directories FCP setup, all my captured material comes as quicktime movie files with audio/video together. (i.e. it doesn't capture audio in to separate files from the video.)

While I'm at it, I'll tell you what I just tried and maybe this is correct:

I dragged "Clip 1" into the timeline. Then hit File, Export to Quicktime. At that Save menu, I changed format to: AIFF. It exported. I opened/checked it in Quicktime and it only played the sound (no video, as planned). Then just to cover my bases, in Quicktime, I SAVED AS again and made sure it was 48KHz, 16bit uncompressed. I took that file and imported it in FCP. It imported immediately (not like when you're exporting) and it shows up in the browser and doesn't beep. Now the question is: Will I simply have to manually match that new audio track with its respective video footage when I drag them into the timeline? Or is there a way to merge the two beforehand when its still just a clip (so that for any subsequent cutting the audio/video will already be sync'd?)

Sorry that this is like a MILLION questions but I'm excited learning this stuff but still new....
Old August 31st, 2003, 10:31 PM   #5
Warden

Delete the old audio and drop in the new audio. It should sync fine, if it doesn't or still beeps, post back.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 10:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yep, it works. In the timeline, locked video, deleted audio, dragged the new AIFF audio file in. Because they're the same length and I positioned start times together, they play together in sync.

I guess it's my neophyte status but I just figured when I cut them in the timeline, they wouldn't cut together...guess its just seeing them as two separate clips in the browser. I don't think FCP makes the distinction or cares - so long as they run together as V1, A1, A2, they'll chop together.

Right?

P.S. Thanks again. If I didn't say it before, thanks to the both of you.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 12:26 AM   #7
Regular Crew

One more thing...

I've taken your advice and it seems to work but I have a question:

It seems like a number of my clips have BECOME non-48KHz AFTER I captured them (months ago). I don't recall so many of these clips "beeping" before. Is this possible?

Also, how can I prevent this in the future? I shoot on a Canon XL1S and I don't understand why it's recording slightly off (never 32KHz, just 47.799 or 48.005, etc)...

Thank you,

Joshua
Old September 2nd, 2003, 05:59 AM   #8
Warden

It is a problem with Canon's implementation of FireWire. Newer Canon cameras don't have this problem. FCP 4 is said to solve this for many Canon users. I still hear a few complaints, but far fewer than before FCP 4.

You may need to export and import the audio to get it to play right. It may just need rendering, but again, the render may be just a temporary fix.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite