DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   To buy FCPS2 now or wait? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/139930-buy-fcps2-now-wait.html)

Sean Seah December 18th, 2008 08:06 PM

To buy FCPS2 now or wait?

Hi folks. I got an MBP recently and wanted to switch to FCP. However there are lots of speculations of FCPS3 coming in Apr around NAB timing. I'm concerned about dishing out more cash for an upgrade within the next 4mths.

What is the upgrade pricing like? Should I wait or go for FCPS2 now?

Phillip Palacios December 18th, 2008 10:04 PM

Like all tech, nothing is future proof...
If you need it now, or need to start learning it now, get it now.
If not, wait.

Pete Cofrancesco December 18th, 2008 11:18 PM

like philip said. if you can find out what they'll be adding to the next release you could make a more informative decision on whether those features are worth waiting for.

Sean Seah December 18th, 2008 11:21 PM

Yeah I dun really need it now as I have another PC based NLE. Just cant wait to start messing with motion!

Brian David Melnyk December 18th, 2008 11:42 PM

i have FCPS 2 and a MBP and motion won't work- i'm not messing with motion, it's messing with me!!!... hoping FCPS3 will fix it...

Noah Kadner December 18th, 2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 980664)
Yeah I dun really need it now as I have another PC based NLE. Just cant wait to start messing with motion!

Actually I think you can wait as Motion's been out since 2004. :)

Noah

Andy Mees December 19th, 2008 05:40 AM

>Should I wait or go for FCPS2 now?

Sean, another perspective ... do not wait, go for FCS2 now!

1) you have absolutely no guarantee whatsoever on any release timeline for FCS3 so you could be waiting longer than you think, and 2) there is no info whatsoever on what may or may not be new or improved in FCS3 so you don't even know what you are waiting for ... and 3) there is much more in FCS2 than you can possibly learn and master before FCS4 is released.

If you're good then you'll cover your investment in FCS2 long before FCS3 comes out and then if you need it there will be sure to be an attractive upgrade price available that you can take advantage of if (and only if) the upgrade actually adds or improves anything you especially need or can take advantage of.

Best
Andy

Sean Seah December 19th, 2008 07:10 AM

Do u guys have problems running Motion in MBP? I have the early 08 model with 4Gb RAM but I know it takes a Mac Pro to run it properly thou.

Brian David Melnyk December 20th, 2008 05:45 AM

the motion problems i have are not due to the MBP (4g, 2.6khz, etc etc), but rather with motion bugs. it may be my combo of os 10.5.3 and motion 3.0.1. i fear to update my pro aps or os, as all else functions well. motion freezes and crashes after about 10 min. even with only simple tasks. i may update if i hear any success stories that fix motion... (and don't break anything else!!!)

Steve Oakley December 22nd, 2008 12:07 AM

apple really won't say anything until very close to NAB as far as a new release. they have had major releases every other year, so we are do, and nothing says there won't be an update.

as for
____
the motion problems i have are not due to the MBP (4g, 2.6khz, etc etc), but rather with motion bugs. it may be my combo of os 10.5.3 and motion 3.0.1. i fear to update my pro aps or os, as all else functions well. motion freezes and crashes after about 10 min. even with only simple tasks. i may update if i hear any success stories that fix motion..
______

the OS updates contain updated graphics drivers, which could well be the cause of your problem. once updated, if you are still crashing, then in this order

trash FCP ( or motion in this case ) prefs before anything else

1. reinstall FCP studio and updates,reinstall QT
2. reinstall latest drivers for any video IO cards,
3. run hardware diagnostics - you could have bad ram, GPU, motherboard or cooling problem. sounds heat related

while I can understand waiting a few days to see what shakes out, waiting months is generally not a good idea. if there was a problem in the initial update, its often fixed soon enough. I'll also say, 100,000 people can have a flawless install and all is good. then ONE person has a problem and makes it sound like the sky is falling when more often then not the problem is between the keyboard and seat most often, or on occasion, an unsupported config ( see #1 ) , bad / corrupted install, or failing hardware.

and you're not missing much with motion, combustion or AE it isn't.