DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 1st, 2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The Mac store

Is it me, or are most Mac store employees pretty much inept when it comes to questions regarding FCS? I get it: these guys are there to sell iPods, but for a company on the frontier of everything pro, Apple is really lagging when it comes to servicing the pro side of the market at the sales stage. And I don't mean selling me a session with a Mac "genius" just to get a straight answer on your pro products. Don't get me wrong: I LOVE the Mac store. But its too bad one can get more insight into FCP from a forum than from a store employee. This isn't a local phenomenon either. I've gotten the "That's a good question..." or "Ask that guy, he's an editor..." (yeah, iMovie) at nearly every store from CA to NY.

Does Steve Jobs figure all pros have the answers?

I don't mean to rant... but the Mac store is just so cool & it's just too bad.

Last edited by Kevin Shahinian; January 1st, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Kevin Shahinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

The Apple Store employees are generally a lot more experienced on the consumer side of things- i.e. iPods, iPhones, MacBook Pros, iLife, etc. You still can't beat going to an Apple Pro for training on Pro Apps.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shahinian View Post
Is it me, or are most Mac store employees pretty much inept when it comes to questions regarding FCS?
The last thing I would expect from a consumer store is an employee (making little if above minimum wage) to have competent info on something as complex as FCS.

Quote:
I get it: these guys are there to sell iPods
That's right. It's not a pro shop. It's like going into WalMart and asking the kid in the toy section about Staunton Chess boards.

Quote:
But its too bad one can get more insight into FCP from a forum than from a store employee.
You went to the wrong store. Go to a professional vendor... there are a few who even sponsor these forums (wink, wink).
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Trustee

to be honest, even the so called " pro vendors" can be pretty lacking. how do I know ? because I worked as a consultant / user support person with one of the largest dealers in the U.S.. I used to provide support to several national US network clients, and still do with one.

on another level, I was looking at a smoke and the dealer for the area was, to put it bluntly, a bit clueless to the point of getting discreet on a 3 way call to answer questions they should of had answers too. then there was the fact they treated me like I was an idiot with a pen & check book.....

you are far better off finding a good local expert who may or may not work with a local dealer, and shopping around on the gear.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:33 AM   #5
Major Player

forget the iStore for info: this forum seems to be the right place to come!
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Major Player

I don't want to sound harsh, but it's completely unrealistic to expect any Apple store employee to know anything at all about FCS.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
it's completely unrealistic to expect any Apple store employee to know anything at all about FCS.
Totally agree with you Don. Apple does have a business unit that has reps who would likely know more about the pro-apps side of things. They even have the authority to negotiate prices for the hardware itself. I know this because I was contacted by them at one time.

I think it would behoove them to have at least one in store employee who could deal with pro-apps questions before the sale. Beyond the sale, you have Apple Certified Instructors and local user groups as we have here in Dallas.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thankfully...

The FCP Trainer at the Apple Store in Salt Lake City worked at a local TV station using FCP. He knows his way around the software, thankfully.

Happy New Year!!
Steve
Steve Kachocki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite