DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Play All (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/140961-play-all.html)

Robert Bale January 6th, 2009 01:27 AM

Play All

Hi , I have a question, in SP4 is there a way to play all the clips, i have 40 video clip in different menus, so the customer can go to what they want, but how do they watch it all in one go,??

Rob.

Mike Wilkinson January 6th, 2009 08:13 AM

Two options.

1. In FCP, place all 40 of your clips together on a new sequence, adding chapter markers between each. Export, compress, get it into DVDSP. Once there, use stories for selecting specific clips, and have one of your buttons called 'Play all' which will play the entire track.

2. I will only advise this if your media isn't too long. Basically you can stick with what you have, just create a new track and place all of your clips onto the track's timeline. I think this will take up more space on your DVD since it will be making a copy of all of those 40 clips. I could be wrong though... been doing mostly web video stuff for a while now. Good luck.

Aric Mannion January 6th, 2009 12:10 PM

You can select the first clip in DVD Studio Pro, there is a drop down menu that says "end jump" and you can select the second clip there. If you go through all the clips you can choose which one the dvd should jump to next.
But when you press next button on the remote it doesn't jump to the next track for some reason?? Does anyone know why? I guess you do have to bring all the clips to FCP and make chapters?

Robert Bale January 6th, 2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Wilkinson (Post 989780)
Two options.

1. In FCP, place all 40 of your clips together on a new sequence, adding chapter markers between each. Export, compress, get it into DVDSP. Once there, use stories for selecting specific clips, and have one of your buttons called 'Play all' which will play the entire track.

2. I will only advise this if your media isn't too long. Basically you can stick with what you have, just create a new track and place all of your clips onto the track's timeline. I think this will take up more space on your DVD since it will be making a copy of all of those 40 clips. I could be wrong though... been doing mostly web video stuff for a while now. Good luck.

Thank, the total file (all 40) is just under 4 gig. but i will have a play thanks.

Nick Wilson January 7th, 2009 03:48 AM

If you want to give a play all option as well as menus for the individual clips, you need to do some scripting in SP4. The Play All button sets a GPRM flag and jumps to the first track. The end jump of each track is a script which, if the flag is set, jumps to the next track (if not, it returns to the menu). The last track has a script which clears the flag. This is done as an example on page 512 of the SP4 manual.

Robert Bale January 7th, 2009 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Wilson (Post 990374)
If you want to give a play all option as well as menus for the individual clips, you need to do some scripting in SP4. The Play All button sets a GPRM flag and jumps to the first track. The end jump of each track is a script which, if the flag is set, jumps to the next track (if not, it returns to the menu). The last track has a script which clears the flag. This is done as an example on page 512 of the SP4 manual.

Hey Thanks Nike, looks like i will have to get the manual out and have a read,

Thank for pointing me in the right direction.

Rob

Aric Mannion January 9th, 2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Wilson (Post 990374)

Is that done the way I explained above? I can't get the "next chapter" button to respond with that method. It will jump to the next track at the end of the video, but will not skip to the next track when I tell it to.
I didn't use scripting, does it have the same results?

Nick Wilson January 9th, 2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aric Mannion (Post 992043)
Is that done the way I explained above? I can't get the "next chapter" button to respond with that method. It will jump to the next track at the end of the video, but will not skip to the next track when I tell it to.
I didn't use scripting, does it have the same results?

If you just set the end jump to the next track without the script, there will be no option to play just one track. They will always linked together. The script does a conditional jump to next track if 'play all' has been used, and returns to a menu if not.

The 'next chapter' button moves on to the next chapter within a track. It will not cause an end jump unless you put a chapter marker immediately (ie 1 second or so) before the track end. In this case, next chapter would take you to that point, then play through the end and whatever the end jump was set to.

Aric Mannion January 9th, 2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Wilson (Post 992081)
The 'next chapter' button moves on to the next chapter within a track. It will not cause an end jump unless you put a chapter marker immediately (ie 1 second or so) before the track end. In this case, next chapter would take you to that point, then play through the end and whatever the end jump was set to.

Wow that's bad news, there's no Next Track button, so I guess you really do have to combine all your clips into one video.

Jonathan Schwartz January 11th, 2009 10:11 AM

Maybe a quicker option

Robert,

I think there is a simpler way to give the option of play all and to select each track.

1) combine into 1 sequence with chapter marks
2) Main menu screen make 2 buttons - Play all & Select Track
3) Assign Play all target as your sequence
4) Drop sequence over Select Track button and choose Create Chapter Index from pop up menu.
5) Choose your menu style and let DVDSP make all the connections for you.

Hope this helps some.