Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVDSP hell

Hello to everyone..

I always had problems with encoding with DVDSP....had version 5 and now using 6.... almost all movies encoded with DVDSP have places where the video stutters, judders...don't know how you call this...but it makes a weird pixel twitch..

why is that?

I belive I have all settings right but this has happened in all execpt maybe 1 time...

right now.. I edited a dvcprohd 24fps in a 24fps timeline..exporte using proress hd 24fps...selfcontained..imported i DVDSP used SD max 7.5 min 6.5 1pass VFR....

previously I tried it every possible variation on those setting and always got that pixel twitch..

have that happened to anyone else? can you tell why is happing?

so fustrated..

thanks for any help

O
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Why are you not using Compressor to do the encoding? You will have a much better time going through Compressor than DVDSP for encoding your media to m2v and ac3 which you then import into DVDSP and organize your DVD. Use FCP for editing, Compressor for encoding, and DVDSP for DVD authoring. Right tools for the right job.

If your footage is DVCPRO HD then there is no good reason (that I know of) to go to ProRes. By doing that you are just adding an unnecessary format conversion which will result in unnecessarily degrading the image (though the degradation is minimal and likely not very noticeable).
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Also, remember that the only reason you need to make a movie self-contained is if you're passing it off to someone else or burning it to disk. Save your movies as references, you'll save yourself a lot of time. Compressor handles reference files just fine.
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Glavan View Post
Save your movies as references, you'll save yourself a lot of time. Compressor handles reference files just fine.
In fact, a few times I have even seen Compressor encode a reference faster than self-contained. I have no knowledge of why. It was a test I ran out of curiosity to see the time differences. Nothing major, but it was an interesting find.
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike and Christopher for your replies..

I go proress because i read somewhere that it'll improve th quality of the final result but I also have done it exporting with same setting as my original footage...with DV and DVCPROHD... also I used to export via compressor when I had FCS1 and even then the result burned dvd had the same issue...now that I upgraded to FCS2 compressor is not working..when I sent expot to compressor and summit it does nothing..no encoding...so that's why I'm using import from DVDSP...also I have done reference movie before and same issue..only reason I did self contained is to see if that was the problem..

I have spent so many hours trying to solve this and I don't know what to do anymore..is making this type of work a big pain in the ....

So, it seems like everybody else have no problems with burning dvds using DVDSP?

it sucks...I wish I could find a solution to this...

thanks for your feed back..

Osmany
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
If I understand the problem correctly, it sounds like it's a CONTENT issue, not an encoding issue, given that DVD compliant files are HEAVILY compressed and can only do so much. Is the "stutter" in areas of high contrast during motion? If so, you are asking a LOT from an interframe codec like MPEG-2. I recently had a scene in a fire hall that had a yellow and black 4" hose hanging from the ceiling that "rang" during a pan. I eventually had to lose the pan: just too much for the codec to handle.

Fine detail, high contrast and motion do not play well together with MPEG-2 at DVD bit rates.
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Major Player

You can't "improve" the quality of your footage by any means of transcoding. The best you can get is what you put in. With DVCPRO HD there is no reason to not stay native all the way through until compressing for DVD or web delivery.

Was your install of FCS a clean install? I suspect your installation went awry. I have never had the issues you are describing on any of the Final Cut stations on which I have worked.

Aside from that, Shaun brings up a good point as well.
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #8
Major Player

Can you make a 24p dvd? Could the problem be Studio Pro converting 24p to 29.97? I haven't had problems with studio pro's encoding when I give it 29.97 vidoeo.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite