Which is better mac mag? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 6th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Which is better mac mag?

My son is selling magazines for school. There are two mac mags to chose from. Not having ever read either maybe some of you can tell me which is better.
The two are: Macworld and Macaddict.

Thanks
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 07:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm not a reader of either, but an obsessive Macophile at my job is especially obsessed with Macaddict. I think he gets Macworld too, though.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 07:04 AM   #3
Wrangler

I've grown pretty weary of both MacWorld and MacAddict personally. MacAddict will sometimes have interesting articles, but it reads like it was written by and for 14 year olds. Nothing wrong with that mind you (especially if you are a 14 year old ;-), but just not what I'm looking for. MacWorld is pretty boring and predictable. I miss MacWeek, which was a freebie you could get several years back, I think they still publish online but not in hard copy.

At the airport a few weeks ago I picked up a copy of MacDirectory. Not a very exciting name for a magazine, but it's really different from the others and beautifully done. It's sort of a thick "art magazine" with very slick photos and layout. Not so much oriented towards technical articles, but I really enjoyed it. If I was going to subscribe to a Mac magazine I think I would give it a try just because it's different.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

MacWorld still occasionally has reviews etc. for professional applications. Last yer they did a roundup of uncompressed video capture cards for the Mac. Their op-ed pieces are usually pretty good too. MacAddict has really gone downhilll lately. It seems like MacWorld decided to get a little hipper and got more like MacAddict, and MacAddict tried to clean up its act and got more like MacWorld and both publications suffered. I don't subscribe to either of them anymore.

Keep in mind that when you register a new mac one of the perks is that you get a free 1 year subscription to one or the other.
Old September 8th, 2003, 02:44 AM   #5
Major Player

What about MacHome? I see that was another choice. I would look at some of these at the bookstore but they are always sealed!!! Thanks again
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #6
Tourist

Magazines

There are acutally more than two mags for the Mac. These are

MacWorld
MacAddict
MacHome
MacUser
MacDesign
MacToday
MacTech

MacWorld is my choice for good reviews. MacAddict is more entertaining and has a lot of good tips and games.
MacHome I won't comment on as I have only looked at one issue. It is a more basic type as I recall.
MacUser is a British Mag. It is very good covering all aspects of the machine. MacUser also has a newsletter by subscription that is terrific. They send you an weekly email with hot links to get to the actual articles you may like to read.

MacDesign is my favourite. If you are into the creative arts, this is the mag for you.
It is chock full of tips and articles to assist you with everything from Photoshop and After Effects to Final Cut Pro and Macromedia Flash. This is a bymonthly.

MacToday & MacTech I have not had any experience with.

Both MacWorld and MacAddict come with CD-Roms. There is lots of trial, demo and shareware software each month.

MacDesign's help articles can usually be suplemented by downloadable files that allow you to replicate the work demonstrated in those articles.

Having said all this I do not subscribe to any of these. I check them out at the newstands or computer stores and only buy the ones that interest me. I do get every issue of MacDesign and most of MacWorld.

Wally
Old September 9th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

I compare Macworld to being a serious mag, while Mac Addict is fun and almost a cross between Wizard Comics Magazine, Entertainment Weekly and especially a thorough Mac magazine. I have yet to feel they're over-the-top, and I rarely ever see political discussions creep in (I thought I read one once in Macworld) or other non-mac things that cause me to put the mag down.

I get both, but I pay for Mac Addict.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite