scrolling text at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Major Player

scrolling text

I was asked about a project. It's supposed to be a promotional video- rap music. She also wanted scrolling text on the bottom synchronized with lyrics. Live-Type? What would be the best approach? Thanks!
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Does it NEED to scroll? The way I handle timed text on screen (normally translations) is to use the built in FCP titler and cut the text generator on the timeline where the change occurs, double click on the new text generator in the timeline to load it into the canvas and type the new text and repeat as necessary, dragging either the in point or out point out to the required length. Very fast and maintains formating such as screen location, size, font, drop shadow etc.
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Major Player

well, that was client's request. I'll try co change her mind, particularly it's going for the web for distribution. Thanks for info!
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Both LiveType and Final Cut Pro...

have Scrolling Title effects. LiveType has a few more scrolling text effects, but Final Cut's might be easier to execute if you're already using Final Cut to edit. Final Cut's scrolling text resides in the little filmstrip icon lower right in the viewer > Text: Scrolling Text. LiveType's Scrolling text can be found in the Media Browser > Effects: Scrolls and Crawls.

Give the "Client" what they want first - suggest an alternative second. Show 'em both but at least try to give them what they asked for. It could be a difference of more co$t (for more effort) so the end result could be in your favor and their (perceived) favor, like you're trying to save them a buck.
Paul E. Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Understood about offering what the client asks for. The reason I brought it up is that scrolling text is usually constant speed which USUALLY doesn't work well for something like translations or lyrics on screen, unless the cadence is consistent. Many clients use the wrong verbiage often and in my business I try to understand the INTENT, and not just give them what they ask for. That's the only reason I suggested that scrolling might not be the best/only solution.
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Any reason you cant throw the scroll on as usual and then time remap as needed?
Andy Mees is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite