Compressor, circle type patterns on shirts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 8th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Compressor, circle type patterns on shirts?

Have a question regarding compressor frame settings and if compressor can fix my problem.
I recorded some interviews and some clients were wearing shirts that had stripes and check patterns. I have rendered out to a quick time file using same as seq settings. Seq settings and footage are from the Sony EX1 shot in 1920 x 1080p 25. I don’t know what the term is called but the rendered footage has made the shirts oscillate or put circle type patterns on them.
Can compressor with frame settings turned on, fix this and if so, how would I set this up.
All other footage is fine after rendering out in compressor.
Also the native EX1 footage does not have this oscillating occurrence.

Nick
Nick Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
The term for what you are seeing is moiré. This happens when fine line detail is too complex for an imager or medium to resolve, like the 70's weatherman with the herringbone sport coat.

Not sure if there's a way to suppress it. I'll let others chime in here.
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

It may be necessary to apply a graded soft-focus effect in FCP prior to export to the areas in the clip causing the moire (you'd need to selectively mask the problem areas). Then when it's rendered out there will be less detail to cause this problem; done properly this could eliminate the issue.

You could also apply a de-interlace filter built into Compressor (which may have limited effect in correcting the problem) but this would affect the entire clip you're encoding rather than just selective problem areas.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite