Convert from powerpoint to quicktime

Hi Guys

How would i convert from powerpoint to quicktime

Rob
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Trustee

Not sure exactly what you mean.

If you're trying to get a traditional powerpoint sequence of still images to video, there are LOTS of ways, including exporting the slides to JPEG or Tiff stills, then you can import them onto any typical video timeline for further editing.

If you want to capture powerpoint annimations, you can export as a stills sequence - or you can play them in real time and use a video capture program on a laptop - or even just point a camcorder at the laptop screen and record the results.

It all depends on the quality and accuracy of the results you're seeking.

If you're talking about exporting a video embedded in a powerpoint presentation and transcoding it to Quicktime - again, there are a whole bunch of ways.

You just need a software tool to rip the video stream out of the powerpoint file, then a WMV or AVI to Quicktime converter.

If you could be a bit more specific, perhaps we could help you more?
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Major Player

A client has given me a powerpoint file she would like it included on the DVD with the rest of her video.

I would like to take the powerpoint file and turn it into a quicktime movie so all i have to do is drop it on the timeline of FCP

I hope that made sense

Rob
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Beware of this part of the job. You're going to DVD, so make sure you keep all the contents of the slides within the safe zone of an SD 4:3 screen. Also, certain slides will just plain look bad on an interlaced display. Best case scenario is you take the slides into Photoshop and treat them accordingly before going into FCP.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #5
Major Player

If you have iWork, you should be able to open the Powerpoint in Keynote. Keynote has the ability to export as a QuickTime movie (if I recall correctly).
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knaggs View Post
If you have iWork, you should be able to open the Powerpoint in Keynote. Keynote has the ability to export as a QuickTime movie (if I recall correctly).
Yes, this works but not always cleanly so double check it. You can also use the new Mac version of PP which has a Quicktime export feature. I haven't used it but I hear it works.
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Better than Halle Berry

There's a funny phrase I've heard used in many businesses- beware of death by Powerpoint...

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

It might make more sense to take screen-grabs of certain sections of the PPT and refer to them in the clip rather than export the presentation itself as a movie. This is because you can't control how fast each slide is presented when it's transformed into a movie, the user is stuck with whatever cadence is created. And since many PPT's dont' even advance until the user commands it you might have to restructure the entire presentation to have a natural cadence.

Keynote is very capable of exporting presentations in any codec and quality setting that you can imagine; when you select a "custom" QT output you have the full range of options that you would using Quicktime Conversion from FCP including data size, frame rate, codec, sound options etc. This is far away more than PPT could ever accomplish. (see screen-grab)

There is another option: you can add the PPT presentation as ROM content on the disk thereby allowing the user to actually put the DVD into any computer (Mac or PC) and copy off the presentation in it's original format and then play it in PPT or Keynote directly. DVDSP has this option - see image.

So you have a lot of options actually, you just need to choose which one fits your production best.
Attached Thumbnails
Convert from powerpoint to quicktime-dvdromadd.001.jpg   Convert from powerpoint to quicktime-keyexportopts.jpg  

Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Having endured this request as well I ended up redoing the presentation in photoshop so the slides are in safe zones and are a better resolution and also tweaked the fonts and drop shadows to help make the slides more legible on a TV. I then used Encore and imported each slide as a menu so that it stays up on screen as long as the presenter wanted and would be able to advance to the next slide with the remote. Not easy or fun but it worked.
Edward Phillips is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite