DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Clips are different speeds? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/143680-clips-different-speeds.html)

Lars Koerkemeier February 12th, 2009 09:12 PM

Clips are different speeds?

Hi everyone!
I filmed a couple competition dances at two different competitions but same dances. they were all filmed in 30f on a Canon XL2 and XLH1. The first dance was on the XL2 at 30f 16x9. The second one was filmed with the XLH1 in HD at 30f. The problem thats occuring is that if i align them at the beginning by the time its at the end the footage filmed on the H1 is about 1 second quicker. I have captured through firwire and through my MXO2 with SDI and its still happening. does anyone know whats going on? and how can i fix this?
Thanks
Lars

Shaun Roemich February 12th, 2009 09:25 PM

If I understand you correctly, you recorded one dance (or series of dances) on one day on one camera, and another dance (or series of dances) on another day with another camera.

Possibly one of two things:
Different CD players MAY play a CD at different speeds (REALLY close but not necessarily EXACTLY the same). This could lead to the discrepancy.

If you taped a series of dances with a longer run time (20 - 90 minutes may be enough to do it), you may have enough variance in internal clocks to be 1 second out, although that would seem a BIT odd to me.

When you place both dances on the timeline together, how long does it take for them to go out of sync?

Lars Koerkemeier February 12th, 2009 09:51 PM

Hey Shaun
Its off within 15 seconds and it gets exponentially farther off. im guessing ill just have to cut it and then manually match up every clip.
Thanks
Lars

Shaun Roemich February 13th, 2009 11:55 AM

Sounds like the only solution. Good luck. You may want to leave both audio tracks active while cutting. It's easier to hear if audio is off than tell if video is off.

William Hohauser February 13th, 2009 01:28 PM

Bad capture? Are there missing frames or time code jumps?

Piero Fiorani February 15th, 2009 07:56 AM

Hi Lars,
to resync you could try using Fit to Fill: open either film in the Viewer, insert the 2nd film in the Timeline (V1), set the timeline IN and OUT to its ends (x), make sure the destination track is V2 (or any other but V1), drag the viewer to the Fit-to-Fill area of the Canvas window (or Shift-F11). FCP will insert the 1st film on top of the 2nd and will adapt its duration by changing both its video and audio speed.

Piero

Mitchell Lewis February 15th, 2009 11:44 AM

I've had the same problem in the past using Final Cut Pro. I've never figured out why it happens by my solution has always been to adjust the length of the audio clip using the Modify>Speed command.

1) Unlink the audio from the video (command + L)
2) Right click on the video clip, note the duration of the clip and write it down
3) Select the associated audio clip and select Modify>Speed and enter in the length of time you wrote down

You're audio will now match the length of your video clip.

I "think" the reason this happens is because of a miss-match in the audio sample rate. Some cameras can record in both 32k and 48k. Make sure your camera's audio settings are set to record in 48k. If it turns out that that was your problem, you could also just go to Sequence>Settings and change the Audio sample rate from 48k to 32k. But this shouldn't be your long term work flow, just a temporary fix.