DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   New Hard/SoftWare? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/143790-new-hard-software.html)

Ron Edwards February 14th, 2009 04:26 PM

New Hard/SoftWare?

I am moving out of SD using the Macrosystems Casablanca and into HDV shooting with the JVC Pro HD 200.

FPC and Mac seems to be very popular. With a 10K budget for editing on a new Mac and associated software how would you configure the hardware/software including monitor?

I shoot/edit corporate, commericals (cable tv), a few weddings and deliver on DVD and internet. I can add more storage later this year.

I know little about the Mac so please be specific.

Taking a giant leap here.

Thanks for all that contribute to this post !

Ron

Noah Kadner February 14th, 2009 07:53 PM

ZOMG - I thought the last of the Casablancas had long ago been drowned in the ocean.

Yeah- top of the line Mac Pro, 2X20" monitor and Final Cut Studio and you'll be all set. Then get some storage and some training. FW 800 or eSATA drives.

Noah

Akbar Ukani February 16th, 2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Edwards (Post 1012140)
I am moving out of SD using the Macrosystems Casablanca and into HDV shooting with the JVC Pro HD 200.

FPC and Mac seems to be very popular. With a 10K budget for editing on a new Mac and associated software how would you configure the hardware/software including monitor?

I shoot/edit corporate, commericals (cable tv), a few weddings and deliver on DVD and internet. I can add more storage later this year.

I know little about the Mac so please be specific.

Taking a giant leap here.

Thanks for all that contribute to this post !

Ron

Hey Ron....You and I are going to be in the same boat...I shoot with a gy-hd200 and edit in final cut studio 2.....As far as the budget goes, I would suggest this:

- DR-HD100 (DTE Recorder)...you can record Quicktime HDV clips and bring it into FCP to edit directly....(will definitely save you some time

- 2 x 2.8Ghz Mac Pro w/ 4Gb Ram (more than 6gb would be an overkill)
- One 24 inch Monitor (Matte)
- Blackmagic Intensity Card for Color Monitoring (hook up an HDTV monitor to monitor your color via HDMI)

However keep in mind that YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BURN BLU-RAY DISC using DVD Studio Pro 4..

Ed Breen February 16th, 2009 01:59 PM

Welcome to my HDV world

I was literally forced into the HDV world ... straight from S-VHS digitized via a Canopus ADVC110 if you can believe that!! and up until today was trying edit HDV 720p60 on a MacPro with a 2 x 2.66 GHz Processor and 1, YES 1! GB memory! Rendering alone could take 20 times the footage length. In any case, live and learn, now waiting on a 750g 800FW external drive and 4 more g of memory to boost production. I've finally, with a lot of forum searching, and a lot of frustration, managed to get some footage in, edited and rendered but I literally do not have enough memory to get it out and I have yet to find the quality many of you guys in here rave about through the FCP - Compressor - DVD StudioPro workflow. Does Anyone have a workflow that works?
The footage is HDV 720p60 (shot with JVC GY-HD 200U) captured FW with HDV-Apple ProRes 422 and edited in a sequence set to Apple ProRes 422 1280x720 60p 48kHz. I've managed to get a few minute samples out through compressor but still getting the jittery/artifacts that I've been told I can get rid of by specifying full 60 Frames during the downconvert in Compressor? Only thing is, I can't find that check box! I've also been suggested to turn Frame Control ON and select Bottom First?

I've got 6 weddings to edit and I swear I may never shoot HDV again ... just kidding ... this 'learning curve' is turning into a vicious circle is all. Any and all help would be more appreciated that you, the contributer, could ever know. Thanks ....