DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD production and TV Safe areas

Have almost completed my first DVD and by the looks of it...the TV safe area in FCE doesn't always catch everything.

I am using FCE and and iDVD. Burining to wide screen 16:9. The footage is 1920 / 1080i.

So far at least 2 TV sets and dvd players they have projected the image and have cut off at least another 20 - 25% of screen real estate and text inside and past the TV Safe overlays.

Anyway to make the DVD project more consistently on all TV's?

any input would be helpful before I send this to the production company.

Tobin
Tobin Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

Are you talking about action safe or title safe? I typically put titles well within title safe to account for the wide variances in overscan on consumer TVs. Image is image- not much you can do about that other than next time- frame things closer to screen center, zoom out a hair, etc.

-Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

In Title Safe

I have it all within title safe and it's still cutting off 20% more.

What do the commercial DVD company's do that do 16:9 movies for block buster etc.?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Trustee

When converting from HD to SD are you doing Letterbox or Edge-Crop?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

wide screen

I'm letting idvd do the downconvert to SD.

If I letterbox my true 16:9 fottage prior to cutting to dvd will it help? I want the final display to be wide screen just like modern dvd's. Or appear as such on both widescreen tv's or standard 4:3's .

Not sure I know what you mean by edge crop. I am not letterboxing. Should I be?
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Trustee

Edge crop means that the 16:9 image is "zoomed in" to fill a 4:3 frame completely. But this means that your going to loose the edges of your video because 16:9 is a rectangle shape and 4:3 is more of a square shape. I'm not familiar with the settings in iMovie, but it's worth checking into.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:39 AM   #7
Better than Halle Berry

If you're working in 16:9- switch from iDVD to DVDSP. Sounds like you're cropping from 16:9 to 4:3 and chopping off big sections of your frame. DVDSP allows you to choose native 16:9 tracks and you'll end up pretty much having the whole image.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

So, if I understand you correctly, IDVD may not have the ability to tell the TV to project the native 16:9 and the TV is trying to project a full frame and include the overscan area. You are saying that DVDSP has the ability to tell the TV to only project the 16:9 to it's full frame and not project to fill the entire TV screen.

Feel like if I edge crop I am really reducing the size of my images...partculary on smaller TV sets. If I letter box the 16:9 and project the letterbox image at 4:3 will it look correct on wide screen TV's as well?

Tobin
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM   #9
Trustee

There are three options when going from 16:9 (high def) to standard def 4:3.

1) You can letter box (thin black bars at the top and bottom)
2) You can edge-crop (no black bars, but the sides are cut off a fair amount)
3) You can choose 4:3 anamorphic (I don't have much experience doing this, but basically it stretches the 4:3 image to fill a 16:9 screen. So it's basically the same as burning a standard 4:3 disc and then choosing WIDE on your LCD or Plasma monitor at home)
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Mitchel,

I apologize guys, either I am not being clear...or I have no clue. Tell me if I am wrong, actually I am fine admitting to not having a clue. You guys are so awesome.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am trying to create a 4:3. I say this because I want the DVD to play wide screen on both widescreen and 4:3 television sets.

If I did convert it to 4:3 and letterbox it or make it anamorhic, what would be the resulting image on wide screen TV's?
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #11
Trustee

Maybe this will help. I drew up a little graph that might help visualize things. Let me know if it clears things up.
Attached Thumbnails
DVD production and TV Safe areas-hd-sd.jpg  

Last edited by Mitchell Lewis; February 25th, 2009 at 07:28 AM.
Mitchell Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Dude, thanks.

That is awesome. So I guess I need to figure out how to letterbox 16:9 in FCE.

Or is the general consensus to do it in DVD studio pro.

I did find where to do it in iDVD but it requires some export settings I don't quite understand yet.

Thanks.
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #13
Trustee

I would do your letter boxing in Compressor.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite