DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 24th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Magic Bullet Looks quality loss?

Does using MBL degrade the quality of the video at all? Maybe I'm staring at this too hard, but it doesn't look as sharp after adding some of the color effects. Thoughts?
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
Does using MBL degrade the quality of the video at all? Maybe I'm staring at this too hard, but it doesn't look as sharp after adding some of the color effects. Thoughts?

Hmmm.... well I guess that depends on what filter you are using, and the settings. I tend to use them sparingly in some of my wedding work, and lean twoards the filter sets that produce more of a film look.

But I do know for sure that there are some choices that maintain the sharpness of the original footage.

If you have FCS2, checkout some of the presets in Color.
Reuben Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Chad,

I've never experienced a noticeable loss of sharpness, but I have noticed increased noise if you use exposure or curves effects (as would be expected). That may affect sharpness as well.

What filters are you using?

Luke
Luke Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Very aggressive grading will degrade quality most times, especially with HDV. Light grades will be hunky-dory. That's just my experience though.
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #5
New Boot

If you are editing in DV or HDV then it will degrade the image quality. Working in Prores, or rendering in Prores will improve this.

You can also limit the quality degradation by going to sequence:setting:video processing and select render all YUV material in high precision YUV.

In addition, at the completion of editing, and before export, go to sequence:general:compressor and select uncompressed. By exporting from an uncompressed timeline you are bypassing the DV or HDV compression.
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

He appears to be working on a PC, so the Mac specific things won't help.

Magic Bullet Looks can really shift footage around. So I tend to work with 10-bit codecs when I am using them or doing any heavy coding work. Keeps things clean. Let me know if you want samples.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite