Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

30 fps in 25 fps project

I am about to start my first project on Final Cut Pro. I need some help:

I work with the XDCAM EX 3 camera, PAL system. In this basically XDCAM project, I wish to use some video footage acquired with Canon 5D Mk2, which is 30 fps, as we all know. OK. All of the Canon footage are landscapes, no camera movements, no zoom.... So, obviously, the Canon footage will be somewhat slowed as compared to normal 25 fps footage, but it would not be detectable as there is no movement of any sort in my shots.

My question is: as mixing of different formats and even different recording speeds is possible in FCP, do I have to slow down the Canon 30 fps footage to 25 fps to be able to use both in the same project, or I can leave the Canon footage unaltered, being a bit slowed then the main footage.

Also, would you recommend to transfer all the footage to ProRes and perhaps encode the final film to required broadcast format? Thanks.
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Trustee

I would load the material in at 25fps so that everything on the timeline is the same, you can mix formats on the timeline but you might as well have piece of mind that it is all OK and at the same frame rate.
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Gary...

... could you please elaborate how to do that? Should I transform canon footage to XDCAM PAL system and treat that footage as XDCAM footage onwards? If so, how? In Compressor? Sorry for these question, as I said, this is my firs FCP project, but since I have lots of Avid and PP editing, this should not be mission impossible. Especially so with a 'little help from my friends'... Thanks!
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Major Player

I would load all your footage in a 30p timeline then export out via compressor to a 25p in XDCAM file while in your settings for export: ... ramp up motion and frame conversion to BEST and sit back and let the 10:1 render time complete. Then import the new footage and edit normally in your timeline.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Alex

Thanks, much appreciated.
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite