DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 24th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Convert M2T files to MOV files

Almost all of my stock footage is shot in HDV 1440x1080 60i. I use Vegas 8 to manage the clips. However, many customers complain that they can't work with the m2t transport stream and they request the footage as a mov file (I'm guessing they're FCP users). So I render the footage using the Motion JPEG B at 1920x1080 resolution; they can accept the rendered video, but it creates huge files.

Any suggestions on what codec/settings I should use to convert my M2T transport files to a usable and small mov file? I have MPEG Streamclip so I can use that software as well as Vegas. Thanks.
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Major Player

The best solution for a small .mov file from an .m2t file is ClipWrap. It gives perfect quality (no transcoding). It simply places a QuickTime wrapper around the .m2t file.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-pro-h...available.html
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

But I'm a PC user and the ClipWrap website says I need OSX (that's an Apple operating system, isn't it?).
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Sorry, Dan. Perhaps you could try DVCProHD and transcode to that with MPEG Streamclip. A smaller file (and visually lossless) can be obtained with AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec). But I don't know if you can get AIC on a PC, so DVCProHD might be your best bet. I think it might be possible to keep your frame size at 1440 X 1080 with DVCProHD (but I'm not 100% sure).

Of course, another alternative might be to tell your Mac clients to buy ClipWrap and then they can convert it themselves with 100% of the original quality and use a minimum of hard drive space. Just a thought.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

My PC Clients send me DVCProHD in this situation, or they send the .mts files and I convert them with Toast.
Reuben Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Reuben and David. Unfortunately, it looks like the Motion B jpg may have to suffice. Both Vegas and MPEG Streamclip allow me to convert to DVCPro, but neither software seems to have the DVCProHD codec (I tried using the DVCPro codec and 1920x1080 setting but that didn't work).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite