DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 27th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Trustee

Working with FCP, AE and XDCAM EX

I've been working on a long format project of the last week. I shot everything in XDCAM EX 1080 30p, my FCP timeline was also set to XDCAM EX 1080 30p, but I have the Sequence Settings Render tab set to render as ProRes instead of "Same as Sequence". So here's my questions:

1) When I bring a XDCAM EX file into Adobe After Effects to do some graphics, compositing, then render it out as ProRes HQ and import it back into FCP, the black level (gamma?) is way off. Why is that? Is it a mismatch between FCP and AE or the codecs (XDCAM ED and ProRes HQ)?

2) When I bring my finished ProRes HQ file back into FCP, I have to render it before it will play in the timeline. So today I tried rendering in AE as Quicktime>XDCAM EX 1080 30p (29.97 fps....same as my sequence settings in FCP) and when I dropped this file into my FCP time line, it didn't require rendering. Cool! But.....it wouldn't play worth a darn. I'd get the spinning beach ball and finally FCP would play it but at approximately 2 frames per second. Weird huh?

Anyone have experience with these issues?

Thanks! :)

BTW, I'm using a 3.0 Ghz Quad Core Intel MacPro tower with 9GB of RAM and OS 10.5.6
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
BTW, I'm using a 3.0 Ghz Quad Core Intel MacPro tower with 9GB of RAM and OS 10.5.6
I have no insight into your problem, but that's the oddest RAM config I have ever seen. Never heard of a Mac with 9 Gigs of RAM! Is that a typo? You should have an even number!
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Trustee

It originally came with 2 x 512 sticks. I added 8GB more.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite