Packaging a FCP Project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Packaging a FCP Project

Is there anyway to package a FCP project to another drive so it will open on any computer, (like you can package a project in In Design) or do you have to find all the files that are on different drives, put them on one drive & then reconnect them.

Thanks
Chris

Visit our new site,
Breathe Deep Productions
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Trustee

1) Select the sequence in the browser window
2) Use the File>Media Tools to copy everything associated with the project into a new location (make sure you use the Copy command and not the Move command)
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mitchell,
Is this for only one sequence, or are/can all the sequences be exported (the entire project)?
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Trustee

Yes

You can select one sequence and it will copy everything associated with the sequence (but leave those files that aren't)

Or you can select EVERYTHING in the browser and copy everything over.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Much!
I'm going on the road for a while & want to be able to keep working.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Mitchell: have you used this personally and with how much success, given the discussion of Media Manager being more like Media Mangler? This would come in VERY handy for archiving a MASSIVE project (2TB+ of raw media) I'm approaching completion on.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM   #7
Trustee

I've only used it a few time, but I've read/viewed numerous tutorials about it. Your comment is why I recommended NOT using the Move tool. When I used the Copy tool it worked great (I think that was back in FCP 5.0 or 5.5, I've never used it with 6.0)

Instead of using the Media Manager, I use this FCP work flow for creating/managing projects: (a number of other editors in the area use the same work flow)

1) Create/label a new client folder to store all my media on (video/graphics/audio/scratch disk, etc...). This resides on the RAID.

2) With in FCP I point the Scratch Disk to this folder (command+8)

3) Create a new project and save it on the Macintosh internal hard drive.

4) When I've finished with the project (and a few months have passed), I archive the folder created in Step-1 using Dantz Retrospect Backup software and then delete the folder from the RAID.

5) If I ever need to restore the project, I just copy the folder back onto the RAID and open the project folder that still resides on the Macintosh internal hard drive.

6) I use Leopard Time Machine to backup both the RAID and the Macintosh internal hard drive on an hourly basis.

I put the words archive and backup in bold because many people use them synonymously when they are actually very different.

Hope that makes sense. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite