DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Mac Pro "enter power save" PROBLEM (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/145078-mac-pro-enter-power-save-problem.html)

Paul Cronin March 4th, 2009 07:12 AM

Mac Pro "enter power save" PROBLEM

When ever I start my Mac Pro as of yesterday it goes into "power save mode" and the computer and monitors go to sleep. Yesterday I did a hard reboot and it was fine. Today after 4 hard reboots I can not stop it from happening.

What do I do to stop this from happening?

I have not done any updates in weeks since I am in the middle of a huge project.

It only gives me about 30 sec to 1 minute of working time then goes to sleep. When it is sleeping the power button blinks white and the screens go black. The screens give the message once it goes black in the little blue box saying "enter power save".

I am typing this on my Mac Book pro. Problem is I have a DVD for review to get out to a client today. Figures there is always a deadline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick L. Allen March 4th, 2009 07:28 AM

Have you gone to your System Preferences/Energy Saver and confirmed that everything is set "Never". Also a permissions repair, followed by a safe boot to clear things out wouldn't hurt either.

Paul Cronin March 4th, 2009 07:34 AM

Yes Rick I have checked the preferences and Energy Saver is never.

What is a permission repair? Also a safe boot to clear what out? Sorry both are new to me.

I have read on one forum that keep itunes on and you can work. So I have that now to start work. But if you could please explain the above that would be appreciated.

Rick L. Allen March 4th, 2009 11:18 AM

Permissions repair (like an oil change for your Mac)
Finder/Services/Disc Utility/Calculate Image Check Sum - Select your system drive and click Repair Permissions.

Safe Boot (cleans out your trash, cache files, etc.) and should be done regularly if you work with video.
Hold down Shift key during startup until asked for login info. Login and then restart.

These are the first steps in diagnosing and repairing any issue with a Mac. Also, it's best to keep other open applications to a minimum or better yet zero during editing.

Robert Lane March 4th, 2009 12:17 PM

Paul,

There are a few things that could be causing this problem and it could be either the software environment or even hardware going bad.

First thing to do is download and run this free app that will address the maintenance items Rick is talking about and more:

Titanium Software

This is like a tune-up for your Mac software environment. Run *all* the cleaning and maintenance routines.

Next you should flash your PRAM; during boot (before you see the spinning wheel) hold down the OPTION-COMMAND and "P" and "R" buttons simlutaneously. This will clear out the PRAM and force the system to reboot. Continue to hold down these keys through 2 Mac startup "bongs".

If you're still having problems after that then it's time to drag out the disks that came with your machine and run the Apple Hardware Test and see if there's a problem with memory or mainboard.

If all else fails it's time for a trip to the Genius Bar.

Paul Cronin March 4th, 2009 12:35 PM

Thanks Guys,

I will do what Rick suggested first since that does not involve new software.

One think in Check Sum there are two options:
(CRC-32)
(MD-5)
Not sure why but I have three internal hard drives. System 250GB and two internals 750GB each.

Which do I choose CRD - 32 or MD -5 or do I do both?

Paul Cronin March 4th, 2009 02:46 PM

Well I did a test run on my Macbook Pro with the Permission repair on both Check Sum and then a Safe Boot. Big improvement in performance I will do the same on the Mac Pro once it is done backing up today.

Paul Cronin March 4th, 2009 03:31 PM

All seems well on the Mac Pro. Boot worked normal and even a little faster.

thank you both

Paul Cronin March 5th, 2009 08:08 AM

Weird it worked well all day yesterday and I even shut it down a few times to check.

This morning it was booting up and the same message. Now no matter what I do it will not come out of sleep mode. Off - On and it will not stop blinking white on the power button.

Try only computer with no raid and same thing.

Robert Lane March 5th, 2009 08:14 AM

Seems like a possible hardware issue. Take it to the Genius Bar.

Paul Cronin March 5th, 2009 11:04 AM

Went to Genius Bar and some bad RAM. So we pulled the bad ram and I will replace once the new RAM arrives on warranty.