Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 5th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Major Player

How do I get a music track...

Hi guys,

I have a timeline(checkerboard) for a piece i am editing in fcp. I am trying to figure out quickly what's the best way to get music from sound track pro into my timeline? Or do I have to send the multitrack project to stp and then add music? I am used to working in a linear fashion and this stuff is relatively new to me. i would use a cd but it's for a commercial client and i have to go the royalty free route.

Any help would be appreciated!

Greg
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Trustee

If I understand it, you have an exeternal audio file you want to import to your timeline? If it's a royalty free track from a cd, just copy the track (aiff or wave) to your computer and import it into final cut like any other file. If you are editing it in Soundtrack and want to save it, file>save as> make it aiff or wave, sample rate to match your timeline (hdv typically 48 khz 16 bit) and save it to your computer, import into fcp.

If you are exporting a timeline audio to soundtrack to work on it, when you save it it automatically saves back to your timeline. Maybe I'm missing something in your question?

Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #3
Major Player

actually

I have a project and no external music, i want to grab something from sound track pro and dump it into my project so i can edit picture to it. No sure how or if I can do this? Have no other choice right now. I just need to get a bed into the timeline so i can cut video to it.

any ideas?

Greg
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Trustee

If you want to use the Soundtrack loops to make your own track, set your loops up in multitrack mode, then file>export, select your file type, bit depth, sample rate, etc in the window that opens, save the file then import it into final cut. Or you have the option in the "after export" window to send it direct to final cut or itunes, etc. Safer, I think, to save the file and import it, ymmv. // bvaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If you already have the video edited, and you want to score the music to the video, then you could also select your sequence in the browser and go to File -> Send To... -> Soundtrack Pro Multitrack Project.

That will send open up your edited sequence from Final Cut in Soundtrack Pro. Obviously, you won't be able to make changes to the editing of the video from within Soundtrack, but you can view the video that you've already edited. Being able to see the video really comes in handy when you want to have music that matches up with hit points in the video.
Glenn Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Major Player

I just go to the library and when I find what I want, right click and choose reveal in finder. Drop the .caf file into FCP and I'm dealing with the audio in an application I actually understand.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #7
Major Player

garageband is also a fun option for creating soundtracks.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brill View Post
I just go to the library and when I find what I want, right click and choose reveal in finder. Drop the .caf file into FCP and I'm dealing with the audio in an application I actually understand.
Great tip, James, thanks! /bvaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite