DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   smoothcam 15hrs??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/145244-smoothcam-15hrs.html)

Ryan Morey March 6th, 2009 10:35 AM

smoothcam 15hrs???

Hi Everyone,

I have a little issue here.I have a 30 sec clip I'd like to apply smoothcam to.It a ceremony where I was stuck in my stedicam rig and the footage isn't so steady.I edited down the clip in fcp 6 and applied the smoothcam filter.The estimated time says 15hrs to analize.Holy moly.....is that right? Should I change anything as far as the clip goes? I'm editing hdv 1080 60i .I'm totaly new at this so please bare with me if this is a stupid question:)

Thanks!
Ryan

Dino Leone March 6th, 2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Morey (Post 1023356)
Hi Everyone,

I have a little issue here.I have a 30 sec clip I'd like to apply smoothcam to.It a ceremony where I was stuck in my stedicam rig and the footage isn't so steady.I edited down the clip in fcp 6 and applied the smoothcam filter.The estimated time says 15hrs to analize.Holy moly.....is that right? Should I change anything as far as the clip goes? I'm editing hdv 1080 60i .I'm totaly new at this so please bare with me if this is a stupid question:)

Thanks!
Ryan

smooth cam will analyze the entire clip, even if you set a small portion using IN and OUT markers. If you want to accelerate the process you might have to render out the truncated clip first and then bring it back into FCP. Apart from that, yes, smoothcam takes a lot, lot, processing power.

Best

Reuben Miller March 6th, 2009 02:14 PM

Dino is spot on.

Smoothcam will analyze the entire clip. I would simply make a new clip of the portion and run Smoothcam on that clip.

Also... since it analyzes in the background, you should be able to keep working.

Vito DeFilippo March 6th, 2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino Leone (Post 1023367)
smooth cam will analyze the entire clip, even if you set a small portion using IN and OUT markers.

I recently started learning FCP, and the first time I tried Smoothcam, I immediately came against this issue. I assumed I wasn't using the filter correctly, because I thought there was no way the default action would be to analyse the entire clip. I figured that was way too dumb.

Apparently not...

Ryan Morey March 6th, 2009 08:11 PM

ok.....pheew.I got it.I just cut the clip down to the 31 sec clip I needed.Now it's saying 8 minutes.Hopefully it comes out well.

Thanks for all of your help guys.Now I just need to learn how to export for the web:)

Ryan

Glenn Fisher March 6th, 2009 10:40 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to apply the smoothcam filter to a subclip in order to save time and avoid exporting?

Jiri Fiala March 7th, 2009 03:39 AM

No, it really analyzes the entire media file. Kind of stupid, IMHO.