Making me MacNuts - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 7th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I cut on AVID, and will be buying a Macbook Pro this year, because it will run both AVID and FC.

I used to work in a shop with a guy who ran FC on his desk next to mine. I can't count the number of "Spinning Beach Balls of Death" he cursed over and over.

Make NO mistake. They all freeze, lockup and flame out - sooner or later. Your mileage will undoubtedly vary.

Changing platforms is a tough hill to climb. Patience is key.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #17
Trustee

In my experience, I always have problems with the software crashing/locking up when I'm first learning to use it. But the more comfortable I get with it, the more solid the software becomes.

This is exactly what happened when I switched from editing SD (DV) to HD (XDCAM EX). I also added a AJA Io HD to the mix. I had a heck of a time with FCP, getting all the settings correct for playback, etc.. But now, I haven't had a crash or lockup in quite a few weeks now. I just got done with a HUGE long format project that mixed XDCAM EX footage, with FCP titles and a bunch of additional video generated by Adobe AfterEffects. I got everything to drop into the timeline and export out for both Windows WMV files, MOV files and SD DVD for final delivery. My only complaint is that the system isn't as fast as it was with DV footage. But that's to be expected (720x480 vs 1920x1080 pixels)

Keep at it Greg! You'll get there.

One last thing...

Our company subscribed to Lynda.com. For $25/month you have access to ALL the training videos on her website. Final Cut Pro, Compressor, Adobe products, etc... It's really helped get me over the hump and for a very reasonable price. I've heard good things about Ripple Training too. The Compressor training that Ripple offers is really good (I need to save my pennies and purchase it).
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post

This forum will help you, but courtesy and professionalism are expected at DVINFO.

regards,

Greg Boston
Would you mind showing me exactly where I was discourteous or unprofessional?
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Simpson View Post
Would you mind showing me exactly where I was discourteous or unprofessional?
Not to speak for Greg, but I don't think he was saying you were being either discourteous and/or unprofessional, but rather mentioning that it is a rather strict policy here. I took it as an FYI to a new guy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite