DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 9th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with AVCHD log & transfer

I am running FCP 6.0.5 and am trying to import some test footage shot with an HMC150. I am getting an error, and FCP will not recognize the file. I was hoping to bring it in and transcode to PRORES. Can someone try one of the files that Mark kindly put up for testing and see if you can bring it in to FCP? I see that folks using Edius and Vegas have been able to do it, and I know that 6.0.5 is supposed to have HMC150 support, so either I'm screwed up or else there may be other card contents that FCP needs in order to work with the .MTS files Mark put up? These are fairly small files, so it should be quick for someone to give it a whirl if anyone could be so kind.

The files are at http://vontraining.net/HMC150Preview/index.php

Can one of you kind MAC friends help me out and try one of these files and let me know if I am screwed up?
Mike Petrucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Your not screwed up, Mike. The Achilles heel of the FCP log and transfer option is that it will not import files without the entire directory structure of the captured footage. In this case, since you only have the MTS file, Final Cut will not be able to transcode.

I'm sure there is third party software you could use to convert a standalone MTS file. I just have never spent the time trying to figure out what that is.

Seems awfully silly considering pretty much every other professional NLE can handle standalone files just fine...
Nate Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Use MPEGStreamclip, it's a free download.
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Mike,

MPEGSteamclip is free, but I like Toast. Just a personal preference. extremely efficient. No muss... No fuss. :)
Reuben Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #5
Major Player

This is pissing me off!

I don't know who dropped the ball. Canon or Mac but this is ridiculous. I've tried everything in the book to transfer these files from my Canon HF S100 into FCP6.0.1. I'm about to throw in the towel and take this camera back! I've tried Apples support advice, I've tried Canon's support advice. Can somebody who owns this dang camera please walk me through this step by step. Oh yea, I tried MPEG streamclip and it won't recognize the MTS files. HEEEELLP!
I think it may be time for the moderator to step in and make a sticky!
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Wtf?

Get this! I opened up iMovie and it recognized and transferred the files right away(crashed my computer, but worked the second time around)! So why does iMovie recognize them but FCP2 doesn't?
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Trustee

FWIW I found this on Google: MTS File Converter - Convert MTS Files, Convert MTS to Popular Video
I haven't tried it, but it sounds useful.

FCP ought to import your AVCHD files in log and transfer, however; while I have no Panasonic files to try, couple of our people are equipped with the Canon HF100 kits and we have no problem transferring their stuff; we use a card reader to put the entire file with all its folders and subfolders on the computer, and FCP 6.0.5 recognizes the files automatically. You need everything from PRIVATE folder on down, iirc. / Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Lee Gordon View Post
Get this! I opened up iMovie and it recognized and transferred the files right away(crashed my computer, but worked the second time around)! So why does iMovie recognize them but FCP2 doesn't?
That's odd because my iMovie 9 didn't recognise the .MTS file I downloaded as it is greyed out when I browse for the file to open. The only application that would even recognise these files & played them perfectly is VLC.

Last edited by Nigel Barker; April 28th, 2009 at 11:22 AM.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Update

Just got off the phone with Canon customer service... No help. They passed the buck to Apple.
Called Apple support. Explained my scenario... For some reason my computer wasn't picking up requests for new updates. Since no new updates appeared I thought that I had the latest and greatest. Per apple I should be on 6.0.5. I believe I'm on 6.0.1. AVCHD support wasn't released until 6.0.2. So that should fix it.
Also per Apple, iMovie is known to work with more formats than FCP (I found that odd).
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for letting me vent...I feel better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
couple of our people are equipped with the Canon HF100 kits and we have no problem transferring their stuff; we use a card reader to put the entire file with all its folders and subfolders on the computer, and FCP 6.0.5 recognizes the files automatically. You need everything from PRIVATE folder on down, iirc. / Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Out of curiosity, what settings are you using for your HFS100? What type of footage are you shooting with them? What is your set up with your HFS100's?
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #11
Trustee

The two cameras in question are in the hands of our breaking-news photogs, who have recently added video to their job descriptions; I don't specifically know, but I suspect they are set up as automatic and plain-vanilla as possible. They are shooting spot-news events, short press conferences, that sort of thing. They have Beechtek boxes with wireless mikes and shotgun mikes on the camera. It is the video equivalent of what we old news photogs called "f-8 and be there."

Or what Vasco Dones calls "the fine art of making compromises, which translates into minimizing the likelihood of badly screwing things up."

Sorry this is not responsive to your question per se, but these are semi-trained shooters and I am sure they have not mucked about with the setups to any degree. We take their clips and edit them, and handle color and exposure in post as necessary. / B Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Major Player

update

Downloaded FCP 6.0.5, wouldn't let me load it until I downloaded the Tiger update. Finally got everything updated and guess what...worked like a charm. Picked up the footage off the card and is downloading the footage as we speak. Takes a little longer than suspected but who cares. I'm one step closer to my Oscar!
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #13
Major Player

Seek and ye shall find!

Just found this thread:

AVCHD Format Discussion - The Digital Video Information Network

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite