DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #46
Regular Crew

FCP - MBP 2.93 - Multi-Cam Editing????

Me again, lol... is anyone Editing Multi-Cam events like live bands???? I wondering how many streams of HQ EX3 Footage my Macbook Pro can handle in post?

I have the Newest MBP 2.93
4 Gigs of Ram
17"

I'm thinking 2, but has anyone done more?
Shawn Dooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #47
Major Player

There is a LOT of misinformation around about RAM usage and requirements on Macs.

True that FCP stays within a 4gig RAM footprint. Compressor though splits jobs into "threads" - spawning what many would consider many "apps" that consume RAM. If you edit your audio chances are you have an audio app going like Logic or ProTools, Ableton Live, etc., other internet apps. Without Compressor going you could have 6 to 7 gigs of app space on the go. Granted some of this will page into the background but as soon as you use Compressor this is where you want RAM.

I often render 3 to 5 hour event videos and have things set up to use most or all of the cores in my Mac Pro and sometimes hog tie the other Macs in the house. Typically Compressor will grab about 8 gigs of ram. I thought it would grab more but sometimes it does. Depends on whether or not the machine sits idle.

The stuff about 4 gigs is enough is not correct. Yes for FCP but that is only part of the equation. If you use Compressor as "standalone" in rendering and have it set up right it will want more ram than 4 gigs and your render times will be much shorter.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #48
Tourist

XDCAM HD Easy Setups Missing in FCP

Hello everyone,

I am trying to import my XDCAM (Sony EX-1) footage, but before I do so I need to choose the XDCAM easy set up. I have installed the latest XDCAM Transfer app and EX Clip Browser, and still no luck. When going to the Final Cut Pro Additional Easy Setups folder (Applications > Final Cut Pro Additional Easy Setups > English) I see the easy setups that I need but they do not show up in my FCP. How can I get this working? Help is greatly appreciated.

Software Specs:

Final Cut Pro 6.0.5
XDCAM Transfer 2.9.0
XDCAM EX ClipBrowser 2.00.00(209.409)
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:07 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay White View Post
Hello everyone,

I am trying to import my XDCAM (Sony EX-1) footage, but before I do so I need to choose the XDCAM easy set up. I have installed the latest XDCAM Transfer app and EX Clip Browser, and still no luck. When going to the Final Cut Pro Additional Easy Setups folder (Applications > Final Cut Pro Additional Easy Setups > English) I see the easy setups that I need but they do not show up in my FCP. How can I get this working? Help is greatly appreciated.

Software Specs:

Final Cut Pro 6.0.5
XDCAM Transfer 2.9.0
XDCAM EX ClipBrowser 2.00.00(209.409)
I had this problem... read towards the bottom of this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...tings-bug.html
Danny Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM   #50
Justin Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Dooling View Post
Hello everyone, We are about to buy a New Mac System, we will be editing HD Video from our 2 EX3 Camera's. Along with Authoring it to BluRay via Toast 10 and Encore.

The Issue is, how much Ram to get?

The System will be running the following. Do you guys see any problems or any overkill within the system? Your expert knowledge would be very much appreciated.

do we need 16 Gigs of Ram or will a smaller amount do the job.??????

System specs

Final Cut Studio 2
ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE 4 PRODUCTION PREMIUM

Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core IXeon “Nehalem” processors
16GB (8x2GB) 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
Mac Pro RAID Card
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
One 18x SuperDrive/Plus external Blu-Ray burner
Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)

THANK YOU
I would get as much as your budget allows initially, it might be hard to source the ram at a later date..
I would probably swap at least one of your 7200rpm drives for a 10k or 15k. I use 2x WD 10K Raptors in Raid 0 as a 'Render' / temp drive. If your OS drive was 10k or 15k you would notice a huge increase in performace booting and loading programs.
just my 2c
Old April 12th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #51
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Dooling View Post
Me again, lol... is anyone Editing Multi-Cam events like live bands???? I wondering how many streams of HQ EX3 Footage my Macbook Pro can handle in post?

I have the Newest MBP 2.93
4 Gigs of Ram
17"

I'm thinking 2, but has anyone done more?
Just turn all your settings down in FCP. (Unlimited RT, Dynamic, Dynamic, etc..). That why you won't get the "Dropped Frames" message and you'll probably be able to play 3 or 4 streams of XDCAM footage. The quality won't be as good, but when you render and export it will switch back to the highest quality.
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Get info into FCP from clips

Howdy all.

So i need a solution to a problem i am facing.
I have a large amount of footage ( 20hrs ++ )
the director wants to do a drag and drop from the hard drive storage into his own organisation in a FCP file. I am highly parionod about this whole tape less process and I have noticed that if I drop a file from disc into FCP my handy dandy log note has gone. This i was using as a link back to the data.

I originally used XDCAM transfer through FCP to get my footage off the cards
is there a way to find where this info has been stored? or get it back into FCP?

I swear i am going to go grey before this shoot is over! its the first time i am working with only data ( 3 data and two footage backs up isn't over kill right?)

thanks in advance for your help

Jennie
Jennie Stenhouse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite