DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 18th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that all seven of those wouldn't even be half as fast as one Mac mini...

I still have a 1ghz Powerbook G4, and it's sitting on my desk next to my MacBook pro with big monitor. I use it for web browsing and even image editing (with Photoshop elements) during times when my MacBook is tied up compiling software while booted into Windows. Safari is a dog on that machine (under 10.3.9) but Firefox actually works quite well.
Thing with a render farm is, you don't have to have fast processors to render efficiently. It has more to do with how much you can break it up and how much ram you have. I'm sure the noise and heat would be kinda ridiculous (I was half-joking when I suggested it), but my guess is 8x867 dual G4 with 2GB ram each would render 3d pretty efficiently while not tying up your main rig.

If you're not doing 3d work however, by all means donate it and write it off. In fact, donate it to me. I can use it.

=)
Old March 19th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I am still using a G3 iMac as HP never updated their scanner software to work with Leopard. It also looks cute in the office & the cats love to sit on top of it for the warmth. A design icon indeed as are many more elderly Macs.

Cheers

Nigel
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
I'm not sure of the name, but Apple released a Cube computer a long time ago.
See: Power Mac G4 Cube - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #19
Trustee

the cube was/is a thing of beauty. Loved that design. I'm also still a big fan of the iMac with the stainless steel lcd arm.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite