Formatting a replacement MBP drive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Formatting a replacement MBP drive

I getting ready to replace the hard drive in my 2007 era MBP with a 320G, 7200rpm, drive. I'll also make the move from 10.4.11 to Leopard.

When formatting this drive, should I make two compartments or just use the whole thing?

The current primary use for this computer is cutting daily news stores in the field, using FCP. I shoot XDCamHD, and export finished MXF files to an FTP site. I typically wipe old stories off the drive every couple of weeks to make room for the new ones.

Would I get less fragmentation by having one compartment for the OS and applications and another for data?

I realize that having a separate drive is better for data, but I have had no problems doing this sort of editing on the primary. I use external drives for larger projects.

Are there any other issues I should be aware of moving to Leopard?

Thanks,

Peter
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Peter
I wouldn't recommend a separate partition for data necessarily but you might want to consider a second partition for Time Machine backup purposes ... if you're cutting news in the field its comforting to know you can roll back to a working system if and when something goes awry.
Just remember to exclude your XDCAM Import Location, Capture Scratch, Render Directories etc from the backup
Best
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Andy,

I hadn't thought of Time Machine. The only thing is, that I was kind of cramped on the160G drive that came with it, and it seems like I would be back in that situation if I double everything for backup.

I might look into an external case for the original drive, and use it as backup.

Everything has been very solid under 10.4.11, I hope that continues with 10.5.6.
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite