Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Reconnecting audio in project

Hey everybody,

I have a weird problem in a project I am working on. I opened this project after some time again and I got the message that some files where missing. I have had this before because I tend to sometimes put the files in different folders when I am cleaning my folders. Normally I just reconnect them by chosing the right folder and it is all ok again. But now I can't do that!

I have the video files and they play well, but there is no audio with it. I see the audio files in the timeline but they are blank. If I try to connect it by right click and chose reconnect media and then the audio files from the hard drive, it says:

Files to connect:

Offline files:
'' is missing

Who knows what I am doing wrong here and what can I do to fix it? Thank you in advance.

Cheers Niels
Niels Neeskens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Tourist

Was the audio recorded to a seperate device other than the camera?

That's the only thing I could think of. When you bring the video file into the viewer is the audio there?

Make sure you audio tracks are active as well.

Sounds like you need to keep all your eggs in one basket:)
Andrew O. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Not sure exactly what's happened in your case but to try to avoid problems like this....... at the start of every project I set up a "master project folder" on my Raid 0 (GRAID3 2TB external in my case) and make sub-folders in that which I put copies in OF EVERY SINGLE HD video clip, audio files, other stuff like music I'm using for that project etc....so what you end up with is everything highly organised and in one place where FCP looks for it.

I then simply clone that master project file from this Raid (and all it's associated sub-folders ), on a daily basis onto TWO other external FW800 1TB drives...(i.e. a sort of manual mirroring). So basically I have 3 identical copies of my project files on 3 different externals. I also have Time machine do regular back ups of the Mac itself and I have all my original EX3 BPAV video files backed up on Dual Layer DVDs before they even see my Raid/hard drives etc.

This is disaster management at it's extreme...but I sleep at night!!! :-)

The message is be organised, right from the beginning of a project and it works out easier. However, if you accidentally start messing around with files/move them about/rename them etc. and this stops FCP being able to pull them into your project (or one gets corrupted etc.) then at least with this kind of approach you have something that you can easily fall back on to undo the mess. In my case I would simply tell FCP to look at one of the clone copies of that file or even the whole project on a different external FW800 drive.

Something to consider for the future maybe.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite