DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP system

If I wanted to move to FCP from Sony Vegas.
What will be the less i have to spend on a system that will give me real time preview?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

That really depends on the type of project you're working on, how many streams (video tracks) are in your timeline, how deep the layers of effects are and whether or not you're working on a laptop or desktop machine.

Tell us more about what type of work you intend to do, how you plan to output your projects and your approximate budget and those who have time can make suggestions for you.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Major Player

I am shooting and editing HDV weeding events.
Most of the time 2 cameras.
I usualy around the 5 video tracks and 3 maybe 4 audio tracks.
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Same sort of question

I too am looking for an upgrade. Currently running on PC with Sony Vegas, Boris Red, Magic Bullet, Combustion, and Cubase. My main desire is to have a system that can render more or less in realtime when using MB or other color correction tools. Also, from a compositing point of view, render times are important (whether that is with shake or combustion).

Do MAC's provide significant performance gains over PC's ? Is it worth the switch?

All I know, is that I have to wait & wait for render times on the PC, especially when using magic bullet to sweeten the image (if FCP has equivalent filters that are faster, all the better)

FYI - All video work I do is in DV / HDV

Last edited by Declan Smith; March 24th, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I can't see why Macs would be any faster inherently than PC's -- since they're using the same hardware.

I've also recently switched from Vegas to FCP. I think you'll be glad if you make the switch. However I still love Vegas and think it's the easiest, most intuitive, and best value of any of the NLE's.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Better than Halle Berry

I'd start be going to an Apple Store- play with the hardware. You can get away with something as simply as an iMac all the way up to a full Mac Pro.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I've also recently switched from Vegas to FCP. I think you'll be glad if you make the switch. However I still love Vegas and think it's the easiest, most intuitive, and best value of any of the NLE's.
I'm also looking to make the switch. Waiting for FCPS4..?? How did u find yourself coping with the changes? I understand the concept is a little different for the 2 NLEs
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Major Player

I also jumped from Vegas on PC to FCP on Mac, simply to escape Windows.

I just spent $1,000 on a refurbished 20" iMac, 2.66 Ghz Intel Duo Core 2, 2 GB of RAM (max is 4), and Final Cut Studio (as well as Logic Studio for my music needs), and it runs smooth and clean. Not entirely perfect when effects are applied to an HDV clip, but better than my PC.

I still love Vegas, but am gaining appreciation for FCP and, actually, starting to prefer it. Which is shocking to me, a longtime Vegas lover.
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have made the decision to swap for these reasons.

1. Stop using windows - A pathetic excuse of an operating system, now won't have any windows PC's, just Linux and OS X.
2. Most of my applications are supported on Mac platform (Combustion, Cubase, Magic Bullet, Boris Red)
3. Final cut workflow, for the most part, seems logical and intuitive. Although I like vegas, and can do most things, it lacks in some areas and can be frustrating and a bit clunky.
4. Media apps in general seem to have increasing support on Mac platform.
5. I think the Apple selling point of Apple software for Apple hardware should ensure better compatibility and performance tuning between upgrades.

I have opted for the Mac Pro dual 4 core. A beast of a machine, that should mean that I can render in one app whilst still being able to work in others. This also provides a level of future proofing with regards to memory.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
I'm also looking to make the switch. Waiting for FCPS4..?? How did u find yourself coping with the changes? I understand the concept is a little different for the 2 NLEs
I'm the wrong person to ask because software doesn't come easy to me. That's why I used Vegas in the first place. I have a creative partner committed to Mac so since it represents more of an industry standard, it made sense for me to switch and not her.

So far, I still prefer Vegas, more intuitive and seems like way less rendering. But, keeping a pc running always seems like juggling swords in that you're always waiting to get impaled, which pc's always did to me. I also like being able to browse the web during a render without worry that some guy in Namibia is going to infect my system. But I hate the disruption FCP has caused with my Firestore workflow. So I'd say I like Macs way better than PC's but I still like Vegas a bit better than FCP though over time I'm sure I'll get used to it.

It's nice too how much support is out there for FCP, even on youtube.

Also I used to be dismissive of people that say Mac "Looks better" than a PC. There's something to that though. What would you rather have? An ugly girlfriend or a hot one? Looks matter.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite