DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 25th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Hebrew Subtitles without re-encoding...

I have an encoded DVD handed to me that my client wants to add Hebrew subtitles to. Any suggestions for the best way to do this and maintain the most quality possible. Those that are tempted to write comments about how this is a bad idea please refrain. I have already commented to myself about the negatives of this. Helpful information would be workflow.

The tools at my disposal are:
Macbook Pro
Final Cut Studio
Adobe After Effects
Handbrake
Mpeg Streamclip
Quicktime Pro
Toast Titanium
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello Jonathan.

I had an idea of how to solve this and just tested it out and it works.

The most important thing is not re-encoding the movie on the DVD. You want to keep it at exactly the same quality.

You already have the tools: MPEG Streamclip and DVD Studio Pro (part of FCS).

1/ Copy the DVD (it's the VIDEO_TS folder that you'll want) to your hard drive.
2/ Open MPEG Streamclip and select File>Open Files...
3/ In the pop-up menu, navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder. Inside that folder will be your .VOB files. These contain your "original" .m2v and .ac3 files which have been muxed together and then split up into smaller .VOB files of 1 GB or less.
4/ Hold down the Command key and select every .VOB file at once and then click Open.
5/ MPEG Streamclip will then assemble the .VOB files one after the other in a single timeline. Scroll through and verify that you have all parts of the movie in your timeline and in the proper order.
6/ Select File>Demux>Demux to M2V and AC3 (I'm assuming that they encoded the sound to .ac3 in your original DVD).
7/ In the pop-up window, select the name and destination of your demuxed .m2v file and click Save.
8/ A new pop-up window will then appear. Select the name and destination of your demuxed .ac3 file (make it exactly the same name as your .m2v) and click Save.
9/ MPEG Streamclip will then deliver your .m2v and .ac3 files - at the original quality!
10/ Now import your .m2v and .ac3 files into DVD Studio Pro and author your new DVD with a Hebrew subtitles track, add your chapter markers, new menu, etc., etc.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks David! What a detailed response. I will be trying this out very soon and will report back.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite