quicktime.
for example photo jpeg @ 75% is ok but @
89% it is jerky and @ 100% its ok. Motion jpeg b @100%
is jerky.
Anyone got any ideas ??
Mike Bluestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #272
Warden

It sounds like convergence problems on consumer TV sets. It could also be pincushion or barrel distortion. These should be minimized on professional or broadcast production monitors.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 02:14 PM   #273
Warden

I don't use 6.5 too often and when I do it's on a clients machine. I'll look into it Monday. You might also want to try the Adobe site, they have a Premiere forum.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 30th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #274
Warden

No, not this year. I have a close colleague going and he's promised to email me any earth shattering developments.

Old March 30th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #275
Warden

I don't use the Tiffen diffusion filters, but I've heard and seen good things. What effects are you using in MB? You might just want to de interlace and adjust motion and not use the full suite.

Old March 30th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #276
Warden

The 525 lines is vertical resolution, fixed by the NTSC standard. The 700 lines refers to the horizontal resolution and is the rating of the camera head. But in most cases the signal has to go to tape and that is the limiting factor. Mini DV is rated at about 500 lines of horizontal resolution.

Old March 30th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #277
Warden

When mini DV was first announced it was claimed 100 generations without loss of quality. I think in practical terms 20 generations is a safe limit. Codecs do vary and QuickTime is one of the better Codecs. Codecs have been discussed here before and links to several sites that compare different Codecs have been posted. Use the search function and you should find many good threads on the issue of Codecs.

Old March 30th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #278
Warden

I would need to see the clips to give an accurate assessment. However, I generally use more even numbers, 50, 60, 70% etc. not 57, 77, 89%.

Old March 30th, 2003, 02:58 PM   #279
Air China Pilot

Try Sorenson. It's a really nice codec.
Old March 30th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #280
New Boot

distortion...

I am not sure what any of these things are but I have witnessed this on a number of different TV's over the years. I assume then that I can expect this, to various degrees, on any TV? What about Plasma screens and projection or is the distortion caused by the tube ?
David Crompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 07:15 PM   #281
Warden

As we move towards digital display devices the distortion effects of analog display devices are minimized or eliminated. LCD and Plasma displays will not exhibit the types of artifacts you are referring to. Newer and more expensive analog TV sets typically do not exhibit distortion either. I use FCP and by 7 year old Sony 32 inch XBR shows very little distortion.

Old March 31st, 2003, 04:08 AM   #282
Wrangler

I've found almost all SD video footage run through Magic Bullet comes out looking like mud. (If anyone has counterexamples, do pipe up!)

I'd use Magic Bullet strictly for its color correction and leave its core frame rate features alone. Especially, converting from 30p to 24p is asking for trouble.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 06:34 AM   #283
Major Player

Roberts, seems to work really well for pal stuff.

I threw some 50i stuff into it, came out 25p and looking fantabulous, too bad the render times are just plain stupid.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 06:54 AM   #284
Wrangler

It seems to me that 50i -> 25p is a trivial conversion, as it's just a matter of an interpolation. There's no reason why it wouldn't look reasonably good, in Magic Bullet or just using a simple C algorithm.

DV-sourced NTSC footage comes out looking horrid when passed through Magic Bullet using the 60i -> 24p method outlined in the quick start tutorial. Which is why I implore, if anyone has footage that they've had more success bulleting, I hope they're able to share it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 07:20 AM   #285
Major Player

Robert, they used magic bullet on the feature "Jackass" and alot of footage looked really really good, so it must work for some people.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite