NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 14th, 2003, 09:45 PM   #346
Warden

How to download files via Software Update.

Many OS X users are unaware that you can download the updates, that appear via Software Update, to their desktop. When you run software Update from System Preferences you can check the box next to the new software, then go to Update in the menu bar, click on download check items to desktop and your downloads will appear on the desktop.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 07:09 AM   #347
Major Player

audio render question

i downloaded a song to desktop, draged it my project folder, then made a new bin in my canvas window, then draged it to the new bin, then dragged it to my timeline audio tracks 3&4. Simple right?

It worked well except for the fact that now on every timeline edit, the audio (song only) has to be re-rendered. how can i ever edit to music or snyc beats if i have to wait and render every time i edit in the timeline? what did i miss?
fpc3, dual 1.25 g4, kona sd card
thanks
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 07:36 AM   #348
Warden

It sounds like you have an audio miss match or your project preferences do not agree. The audio from a CD etc. is 44.1kHz and DV is 48kHz. Use QuickTime Pro to import the audio and export at 48kHz. Then check all your settings to make sure that the project, sequence etc. are all at 48kHz. That should solve all your problems.

The preferences should be set at 48kHz at the very start. It may benefit you to start over with the correct settings. Audio miss matches like these are one of the sources of sync errors.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 15th, 2003, 07:38 AM   #349
Major Player

thank you, i would not have even know to check this, yes, my audio is set at 48 and the song was downloaded fron a cd. very useful info.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 08:03 AM   #350
Warden

Yes, you can stretch it over two 23" Cinema displays or more. You have to be careful at the seams, it can leave gaps etc. Depending on the type of project (long form, short form, spot etc.) I will put the timeline on either the 17" Studio display or my 21" Mits. Diamond Scan. Rarely have I had the need to stretch it over both.

Old April 15th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #351
Regular Crew

at least 1 problem.

Joe,
I don't have one... yet.
I'm still trying to decide between a 17" and the 20". It's all about the dollars...

With the 20" you'll HAVE to run under OSX 10.2+. It will not work on a Mac booted with OS9.

If you are ok with that, then go for it.

I've read about the Formac, but have yet to see one for a comparison.
Old April 15th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #352
Major Player

look at Lacie's new LCD 20". They have it for $1,399. And from what I know about them and seen of their products, they are about the best quality out there.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #353
Tourist

How to adjust gamma S-curve in FCP

I'm looking to get a good film look out of my footage and i hear adjusting your S curve (gamma) will help...

Is there a way to do this in FCP? Thanks....
Richard Cranor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 07:52 PM   #354
Major Player

Please help with settings to capture video

I'm running a PowerMac Dual 1.25, 1.5 gig ram OSX 10.2.2 and FCP 3.0.2 and 6.0.2 QT

I've got a JVC HR-S9900U connected with S-Video to my DSR-11 and then firewire to my mac. I can't get fcp to capture the video. I'm guessing my settings are jacked. I have it set to an uncontrollable devise and when I click capture now, I get a window saying 'allocating space' and then teh friggin spinning beachball from hell and I need to force quit fcp. ideas? This has worked before but I guess I didn't remember how it was set up.
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #355
Warden

Are you just starting this project? If so I would take the time to update your OS (10.2.5), FCP 3 (3.0.4), QuickTime 6 (6.1.1). What drive are you trying to capture to? External FireWire, internal ATA, system drive? How full is the drive? Is the deck in E-to-E so the signal can pass through? Do you have the source set correctly on the deck?

Old April 18th, 2003, 08:25 PM   #356
Major Player

Yes this is a new project.

I'm capturing to my second internal drive (non-system drive) with 100+ gig available.
The Sony is turned on and input select is on s-video. I don't think the Sony has a switch for E-E it should just default that way?

EDIT: I found the EE setting in the menu and that fixed me up. I'll probably update everything anyway, but on dial up it could take some time.
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #357
Warden

Yah, see if a friend with cable modem won't download the files and burn them to a CD for you. OS 10.2.5 combo update is 82MB. That will take some time.

Old April 21st, 2003, 10:32 AM   #358
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

indianapolis Final Cut Pro Users Group

The Indianapolis FCPUG is in the process of forming, with its first meeting scheduled for April 24, 2003. For more information see their Web site.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 12:48 PM   #359
Major Player

Apple training series

I;m a bit confused by the FCP training. On their website they mention self paced learning. I believe this is similar to A+ or MCSE where you don't have to learn it in the classes, and can take the exam ata certified testing center. The reason I am confused is when I contact Vancouver Film School which was noted on the apple site as a testing center, they had no clue about any exams other than their regular FCP courses. Anyone shed some light here?
Joe Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 02:32 PM   #360
Warden

This is the self paced learning series that apple has available through Peachpit Press. However, I don't believe it leads to any certification. It's just self paced learning.

The only certification for FCP I'm aware of is classroom training. I know several people (just met them recently in fact) that have completed the basic training and were very happy with the course. The one remark they all made was how costly it seemed ($700).

Whoops, at the bottom of the page I see the reference to a test. This program is so new the testing sites may not be up to speed about it yet. I think the self paced portion has only been available for a month or so.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite