NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 23rd, 2003, 02:35 PM   #361
Major Player

Twin monitors

The latest Dell catalog has a nifty set of twin flat panel monitors on a single stand. They are 15" each but not exceptionally high in resolution (1024 x 768 each).

Has anyone seen an equivalent sort of stand that might hold two Apple Cinema displays side-by-side? Looks like it might be great for FCP editing! Otherwise it might be time to try and design something....
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 04:21 PM   #362
Major Player

FCP 4 up to date program

Ok am I reading this wrong or missing a paragraph...?

Buy FCP now, send the form into apple and pay the 49.95 and you receive a copy of FCP 4?!?!?!
Joe Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 05:23 PM   #363
Regular Crew

That's what they say

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/uptodate.html
Old April 23rd, 2003, 09:50 PM   #364
Warden

FCP 3 is $999 and if you buy FCP 3 you can upgrade to FCP 4 for only $49.95. Total cost is $1,048.95.

I bought FCP 3 many months ago for $999 and it will cost me $399 to upgrade to FCP 4 in June. Total cost is $1,398. But I've been able to use mine for the last 14 months. The cost for doing so? Only $350, pretty cheap, a little less than a dollar a day. I certainly make more with it than a dollar a day.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #365
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Peak DV&FCP/Getting a loudspeaker sound

Does anyone know how to get a loudspeaker effect using Peak DV and/or FCP 3?

This will be someone speaking over a building intercom and we'll hear their voice in different quick shots, such as down an empty carpted hallway, and in an all concrete and metal stairwell. So, the sound will have to range from a "tinny" and "echo-y" sound in the stairwell, to a more flat, but small speaker sound in the hallway. Also, in one big room, I'll need a stadium type of effect.

I'm really not up on using the audio filters much in FCP, and am pretty lost in Peak. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 24th, 2003, 08:09 PM   #366
Warden

A tinny sound would require a limited range. Try using EQ to cut the unwanted ranges, take out all the lows and mid range and slowly add it back in a range at a time.

Echo can be achieved with a delay of X milliseconds, and maybe repeat at a lower level. If yo can't tell I don't do a great deal of this type of sound either.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:18 PM   #367
Regular Crew

I don't know about Final Cut Pro, but in Vegas I have been using the Color Curves filter as a sort of all purpose, brightness, contrast, color balance tool.

Typically I grab the handles and pull the straight line into more of a S-shaped HD curve, while monitoring in the preview window.

Does anyone else use the Color Curves as their master footage fixer?
Tom Voigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:25 PM   #368
High School Student

Yes. I also use Vegas 4, and I *always* use the Color Curves. I often adjust it to my liking, which is usually less red then anything. It really helps make the video look much better.

Heres a screenshot of my favorite preset that I made, it works quite well on most daytime/well lit shots. Some people think it's too much or it looks fake or something, but I personally think it makes the footage look quite better...

http://pnavy.com/alexknappenberger/a...olorcurves.gif

Here's two examples of what it does to the video when applied.

http://pnavy.com/alexknappenberger/a...eforeafter.jpg

http://pnavy.com/alexknappenberger/a...foreafter2.jpg

(Why can't you insert photos into the post? Darn forum!)
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 03:55 AM   #369

Whoa! Somehow I missed getting back to this thread. Sorry about that...and thanks for the info.

I shelved the security camera look problem temporarily for the mountain of other problems I'm working on...but now I'm back to this one and will give all your suggestions a try (if I haven't already).

Brian...I'm using FCP3 and, based on your suggestion, I went in and played with all the color correction filters for the first time (I don't know about you, but I've been bad about finding something that takes care of my needs and not exploring any further...so a lot of what FCP has to offer I'm still unfamiliar with). Playing with the color adjustments I was able to get the bluish hue I wanted. Then, by adding some noise, it had a more "security camera look"...so thanks for your suggestion.

Zac...I've been searching for scan line plug-ins for FCP but haven't found any yet. I'll try you shooting suggestions, though, to see how they turn out.

And Rik...it must be the Texan blood in us that makes us always look for the simpler way to do things. I already tested what you suggested and I really like that look. It's not quite what I'm looking for for this particular project, but it looked so cool I'm going to find some way to use it in the future. Thanks for sending the photo. For this project, I'd like something pretty subtle, so a plug in would give me more control.

I've gotta admit, half of the filters I tested today I'd never tried before...I'm amazed at what FCP can do. And Joe's Filters are fantastic for the price.
Old April 26th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #370

Aaargh. Not getting what I want. Does anyone know of a good set of audio plug-ins for FCP? Along the lines of "Joe's Filters"...but for audio?
Old April 27th, 2003, 04:23 AM   #371
Major Player

FCP 4 and 720p

I know FCP4 can online edit 1080p HD, but can it also online edit 720p HD as well? I didn’t come across this information on Apple’s website, it only mentions 1080p and DVCPRO50 as being new DV formats that it can online edit. Thanks.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 06:12 AM   #372
Warden

My understanding is the software is resolution independent.. Meaning, if you can get the signal in, FCP will handle it. So, you'll need a board to do the capture and a Codec (probably supplied by the board) and then your set. I think I remember reading that CineWave from Pinnacle Systems does 720p. There are probably others.

EDIT - In the down load PDF it say it does 720p

Old April 27th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #373
Major Player

Thanks.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #374
Regular Crew

You need SFX Machine RT which comes as a VST and AU. It has a ton of presets, one of which will give you exactly the sound you want here.

http://www.sfxmachine.com/
Old April 27th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #375

Requires 10.2...darn. Otherwise, looks interesting, Brian. Thanks! I'd never heard of that.

Time for a few updates.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite