NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 27th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #376
Regular Crew

if you're still running OS 9, you can get the Premiere format for use in Peak DV.
Old April 29th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #377
Inner Circle

Need to clear space fast

My new monster big internal harddrive still hasn't arrived -- curses! -- and I have to clear up some space fast for a project I need to finish editing by Friday. Using the make offline function seems like the way to do it, but I'm unsure what it does exactly. I realize that it will delete the source media and leave me with the clips, but I thought the footage in the bins was more like a low rez visual reference to the source material, rather than self contained footage (I'm using Final Cut by the way). Doesn't everything have to render when I do the final output? Is there a way to retain just the full resolution clips I'm using and delete all the in-between footage? I don't have time to recover from a critical mistake at this point, and want to be sure before I click the big scary button. Also, does the make offline function apply to subbins? I was thinking I could take all of bins and throw them into one central bin and make the whole project offline at once.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:55 AM   #378
Major Player

hey guys/gals

do yall know of any DVD Studio Pro boards like this excellent one?
thanks.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #379
Warden

The DVD list that Apple runs is pretty good but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. An entry level knowledge of DVD SP is needed and a basic understanding of most DVD terms.

It's an active list but it is sometimes a day or two to get answers (especially weekends). You can subscribe to the list here http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/dvdlist. Read the page before signing up so you will know and understand the rules.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:37 AM   #380
Major Player

gracis n/m

n/m
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:52 PM   #381
Warden

Marco,

I'm sorry I missed your post. Are you still in need of assistance with the Media Manager?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:07 PM   #382
New Boot

Proc Amp help

Can anyone give me a quick rundown or a link to some instructions for using the Proc Amp filter in Final Cut?

Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff Dobisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:08 PM   #383
Warden

What are you trying to do with the Proc Amp? Can you post a still or clip? It's mostly what you see is what you get. For critical work use a waveform moitor/vectorscope. Try to avoid the extremes. Small amounts are usually adequate. Large, global changes may look good on screen but when rendered and put to tape will have less than optimum results.

Old May 3rd, 2003, 06:41 PM   #384
Inner Circle

Well, my crisis is over. Since I wasn't able to find out the answer to my question, the safest route seemed to be to output the material that I had already cut as a Final Cut Pro Movie and recut the footage I needed into smaller pieces. Still, I would like to have a better understanding of what the media manager does. I have Tom Wolsky's book, which makes it sound like taking everything offline leaves you with just the source footage that you need, but the manual that came with the program makes it sound like I would have to reimport the footage later. If that's true, I can't figure out why using the offline function is even useful.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 06:49 PM   #385
Warden

Which version of FCP are you using?

Old May 3rd, 2003, 06:57 PM   #386
Inner Circle

Hard drive question

I recently bought a 200 gig hard drive, but my computer apparently is only able to recognize about two thirds of its capacity. The store I bought it from is willing to take the drive back (there's a reason to buy from a local brick and mortar establishment for ya!), and I'm wondering if I shouldn't instead get two 120 gig drives. Is the limitation on the system as a whole, or just for each drive? I'd be real upset if after I bought both drives I was still limited to a combined 130 gigs. I have a 500 Mhz G4 dual processor by the way. It's quickly becoming apparent that it's impossible to have enough drive space. I need more, more, MORE!
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:04 PM   #387
Inner Circle

Final Cut Pro 2.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:06 PM   #388
Warden

You need a driver for your HD that supports 48-bit addressing or a PCI controller card. This article should explain what's needed.

Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:16 PM   #389
Warden

Boy, it's been over a year since I used FCP 2. I know there were some differences between 2 and 3, I remember that much. I have a short explanation of how to use the Media Manager that I emailed to a user and I'll try to find it and post it for you tomorrow. However, the steps and results may be different between FCP 2 and 3. I know that MM was a little buggy in 2 and it improved a great deal in 3 (still not perfect).

The best I can say is get ready to do some upgrades. If you're still on OS 9 and FCP2 it is really going to be time to upgrade when FCP 4 hits the streets in another month.

Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:29 PM   #390
Inner Circle

Thanks, as always.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite