NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 51 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 14th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #751
New Boot

external video issues.

Okay so I just captured a video and I want to start editing it with my new external monitor.

I have my sony trv20 miniDV cam connected to the firewire port and then the composite video out to the monitor. (9" tv)

In FCE when I select View -> Video -> Firewire nothing happens. I still can't see the video on the monitor. The only settings are RealTime or Firewire, don't I want both though? Am I missing something here?

any help is appreciated. thanks.
Ricardo Vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 04:21 PM   #752
Warden

Are you passing the signal through the camera? Some cameras don't support pass through, can you see video in the cameras viewfinder?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #753
New Boot

I am pretty sure I have the video pass through feature on my camera.

There is no video on the camera's viewfinder either, so video is definitely not coming out the firewire port.

thanks.
Old July 14th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #754
Warden

I don't use FCE, so with that said here goes. On FCP 3 (and earlier) there is a command to show all frames. I'm away from my office so I can't check the exact menu bar heading, but look for something similar. Try the settings under that option (might be something like single frame, show all frames etc.

Does it show in your instruction manual the capability to record camera to camera (using your camera as the recorder)?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 14th, 2003, 06:40 PM   #755
New Boot

I got it working!

Apparently on the camera's menu the DV out feature has to be turned off.

Seems kind of odd because you would have to turn it back on in order to capture. but whatever, editing I go!
Old July 15th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #756
Regular Crew

Final Cut Express Re-capture

Hi

I captured a larg-ish clip the other day and placed about 20 seconds of it into my sequence.

Is there an easy way for me to recapture the clip (just the 20 seconds of it that I'm actually using) so that FCE will easily re-link to it without me having to re-import it and do all the maipulation, filtering and blending etc again.

The reason is that I want to archive the work and that clip alone is 1.4 GB and most of it is unused.
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #757
Tourist

New Powerbooks??

How long have the current PBs been available? Does anyone know if a G5 powerbook is coming soon? I'm thinking of getting a G4, but I don't want to buy it, only to have newer models come out in a month or something....

I know that the G5s have a question about the heat they give off, and that might require some re-engineering in a notebook form factor for cooling purposes, but nonetheless, I wasn't sure how long the current ones have been in the marketplace (I did notice that Apple lowered their prices on them recently--usually a sign that they're trying to move them out...)

Thanks!!!!
Joel Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 02:15 PM   #758
Warden

G5 PowerBooks are not expected until after the first of the year. They may be announced at MacWorld SF in January and ship late winter. However, Apple surprised everyone by making some updates before the Holidays last year (early November), but I wouldn't expect that this year.

The G5 chip presents some serious technical issues that will need to be resolved. Not the least of which are power consumption and heat dissipation. Apple is rumored to be working on a dual processor G5 PowerBook, but that would not be available until 2005, if at all.

Old July 15th, 2003, 02:23 PM   #759
Warden

Glad to hear you got it figured out.

Old July 15th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #760
Wrangler

Jeff, when will we see a revised 15" G4 Powerbook that will have the same feature set and construction as its bigger and smaller brothers? I've been waiting because I have a Goldilocks-type preference for this "just right" sized laptop, but I don't want to buy yesterdays' model.
Old July 16th, 2003, 03:24 AM   #761
RED Code Chef

Some NLE's have an option to save a project with only the portion
of media you are using so you can delete the longer not needed
clips. I don't know if FCE has such a feature....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 10:55 AM   #762
Regular Crew

reimport?

why would you export the clip and reimport it? I have also, on occassion, found a clip that was out of sync by one or two seconds. It is not the same phenomena as a clip that goes out of sync over time due to the strange Canon time code; it is an across the board sync mistake of one or two seconds. that sounds like your problem here. In that case you just move the separate the audio from the video in FCP, move the audio till it matches the video and tell FCP that the two are now in synch and lock them together. There is no need to export and re-import. You may wish to export it to tape so you have an in-sync master, but that's about it. Maybe I'm missing something here....
Old July 16th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #763
Warden

Ah, the $64,000 question. If something isn't announced by the middle of August, I would expect it in early November, just in time for the Holidays. Products run in cycles and they may want it in the hands of back to school students. It would not surprise me to see an announcement soon.

Old July 17th, 2003, 02:58 AM   #764
Regular Crew

Thanks Rob - FCE manual doesn't seem to mention it... So, I guess from the lack of responses that it isn't possible. If this is the case could somebody please confirm - I will then get on and do it.

Thanks
Justin
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #765
Regular Crew

Jeff, sorry for not replying to your post for so long - internet connection problems, I'm afraid! :-)
Yup, ran a defragment and system optimize and the problem went right away. BTW, both my drives (80 GB and 40 GB) are internal IDE 7200 RPM IBMdrives. The 40 GB carries all the software - OS and FCP - and the 80 GB carries all (and I mean ALL) the media.
For those using Norton Utilities for Mac maintenance - did you find a difference in system optimization using the 'General' and 'Multimedia' settings? I find the General setting gives smoother performance even when I only organized the media disk - curious, since the literature suggests that the Multimeia setting should actually work better in video editing systems.
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite