using?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 10:14 AM   #887
Major Player

Whatever the default settings are for iDVD 2 - can they even be changed? I do have QT Pro but am not sure how that relates to choosing compression for iDVD.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 05:24 PM   #888
Regular Crew

AVID on PC or FCP 4

I am looking to buy an editing system and I wanted to know some thoughts on which one I should get.

Right now I am looking at AVID Xpress Pro with Mojo on PC or FCP 4 on Mac on either a G4 or G5. I am looking to get a job eventually as an editor in Hollywood. Which system would be better, more versital, more reliable, and will produce better output quality? Is AVID still the number one choice for high end stuff or is FCP makings its way up the ladder? Should I go with the top of the line dual G4 or a Dual G5 with average components?

Which core system would you guys recommend?
Matt Concialdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #889
Warden

I am on several lists that post job availabilities. I would say, that on average, more jobs being posted, are for FCP editors at this time. Overall, especially for film, more job opportunities are for Avid editors, but the tide is turning.

I would get a G5 dual processor with FCP 4. If you can't budget for the dual processor, I'd still go G5 over a top of the line G4. The future is the new machines. FCP will be optimized for the G5 64 bit processors soon.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 07:39 AM   #890
New Boot

How will FCE perform on an "entry level" G5?

I LOVE my flat panel iMac dearly..but I am looking into a faster system to run FCE and other graphic intensive programs for school...

My budget would allow me to get the single processor 1.6 ghz G5 PowerMac at educational price of $1799...

At the same price I could get a G4/1.25GHzDP at Small Dog for the same price!

What do you think is the better deal?..

TIA
Joe Abeleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 08:53 PM   #891
Warden

New G5 will win, no question. My best guess, is the slowest G5 is faster than the fastest G4, in most tests and applications. The G5 will only get faster, as the OS and software is optimized for 64 bit operation.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 21st, 2003, 09:33 PM   #892
Regular Crew

Pro Max <http://www.promax.com/specials/FCP4.lasso> shows that they are selling them until at least Sep. 30th
Joe Kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 09:41 PM   #893
Wrangler

I just got a g4/1.25g single two days ago at CompUSA. Glad I managed to get one of the last boxes that will run MacOS9... will start thinking about the g5's and OSX next spring :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 12:03 AM   #894
Inner Circle

The G5 will likely be significantly better at Photoshop because photoshop doesn't take advantage of the second processor very well. And then there's the news about Adobe releasing a patch that makes Photoshop "75%-200%" faster.

Pretty soon some G5 vs Dp1.42 benchmarks will come out I expect. There are going to be demo units in stores.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 10:08 AM   #895
Regular Crew

Actually no, they haven't, you can still get G4 from the Apple store. It's just down the side column of the store page, not in the center of the page.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 01:38 PM   #896
Regular Crew

FCP Audio Scrubbing

Hi-

For some reason I have lost the ability to scrub my audio in the Viewer or the Timeline. I have the RT Scrubbing area checked under the Sequence menu.

any ideas?
Old August 22nd, 2003, 08:35 PM   #897
Regular Crew

shift-S

Dan, Make sure audio scrubbing is toggled on. It's in the View menu too.
Old August 23rd, 2003, 03:34 AM   #898
New Boot

Final Cut Pro and Screen Real Estate (and a G4 performance question too)

Hi,

I am about to purchase a mac system for editing, and I was wondering what would be the minimal resolution requirement for running FCP. I know it takes up a lot of room, and more is better, but I'm restricted by my budget.

What it comes down to is that I can either get a dual 1.25 ghz G4 with a 20" Cinema display, or a 1.8 ghz G5 and a 17" Cinema display.

Right now I'm more leaning towards the G5, as it is a G5 but I am worried that all the tool boxes and such will clutter up the workspace.

Another question: how fast is the dual 1.25 G4? I know thats a real subjective question, but what I guess I'm asking is -- at what point does it choke and have to sit and render? after so many layers? color correction? I'm a PC guy so I don't really know what constitutes fast in the mac world.

thanks
Nik Hanselmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2003, 04:11 AM   #899
Warden

Get the G5, future versions of the OS and FCP will really take advantage of the advanced architecture of it's design. The difference between the 17 inch and 19 inch is not that much as to really make a difference in size and spacing of the palettes. There is really only one good reason (other than budget) for getting a G4 today and that is the compatibility issue of legacy software and OS 9.

Old August 23rd, 2003, 11:18 AM   #900
Major Player

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, Nik. From what I've gathered, You're much better off getting the best computer you can afford, and getting a relatively inexpensive CRT monitor, which can be upgraded much more easily than a computer later on. CRTs have (typically) higher resolutions, and you can get an awesome CRT for half the price of a good LCD. I'm looking into this one:

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10037

It's $800, 22", flicker-free super high resolution. Of course, if you don't want a 60lb behemoth on your desk, then you'd need the LCD. Apple displays are among the best I've seen, so you can't go wrong in terms of image quality.

If I were you, I'd get the 1.8GHz G5 and a good CRT, and use the rest for lots of RAM and storage space.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite